«chapter twelve: returning nightmares»

___________________

_________________

CATGIRL'S POV

I wake to little raindrops on my face, the cold December air biting at my uncovered skin.

Forcing myself to blink my eyes red and puffy from crying, I sit up, staring at the grave, it staring right back.

'Ben Travis'

Despite having cried a lot earlier, angry tears sting my already dry eyes as my jaw clenched with my fists.

I want him back. I need him back. He saved me from trouble, and I told him everything.

It's because of her. Her. She is with my team.

I rub my eyes before glancing at my watch, it reading 12:30 a.m.

Makes sense, the sky is so dark I can barely see in front of me, but the lights of the city light up the night to my right.

I should get home. Selina will be worried. But I don't want to leave.

I hold my head in my hands, hoping to slow my mind down, but it keeps going.

The team. They didn't trust me. I look back at the headstone. They don't want me. I should leave again, just run away from her, so he can't hurt me anymore. But the team...

But they do need me. 'Rogue' or Hayley, is dangerous. I know, because I have seen how evil she can be. I can't leave the team with her. I can't let the team get hurt. As much as I hate to admit it, I care about them. They are good people trying to do good. I can't hate goodness.

If I leave, she wins, and that's not how I play. I play to win, not to lose.

I smile at the ground, my heart leaping for the first time in hours, energy coursing through my body. Does she want to fight? I will give her a fight.

Forcing myself up from the ground, I give one last wistful look at the grave before I start walking home.

I thank the lord that I had a mask on and they couldn't see me cry, I think as I wipe the tears off of my cheeks. And it was also a good call to suit up and wear a hoodie and jeans considering I just ran through the city.

Gosh, I wasn't thinking straight.

Hayley. Ben. The team. The sirens. Everything I have been through.

I shake my head as determined; I won't let her win. I won't let this break me. And I won't let her hurt anyone else.

Watching people pass by, I realize how you truly don't know what people are going through when you pass them in the street. You may shout at them for taking too long or be nice and polite, but you never know. You could walk by someone who is having the best day of their life or the worst, and I feel like I am having the latter. I kick a small rock on the concrete. You don't know if they lost someone, or if they are sick or just got fired. You didn't know and you won't until you live that person's life, but you can't.