Chapter 41

Quackitys POV
I listen to the fire crack as I fall asleep. I lay on my... my fiancés chest as I think about today's events.

I got great news to return to Las Nevadas.

I got Las Nevadas back.

Got betrayed.

Almost blown up.

Lost my country.

And now I'm engaged.

if it didn't suck so much I'd laugh at how ridiculous it is. I went all in and bit the dust.

I thought by climbing to the top I would be helping myself and those around me. but clearly not. I know that it wasn't the right way, but I was too desperate to see any others.

I wondered why Wilbur even proposed to me. he saw me lose anything of value I had.

I feel his chest go up and down with his breathing. I adjust myself a little to get more comfy. it doesn't do much since the floor is not comfy at all, but whatever.

I feel a kiss planted on the top of my forehead and sigh. I'm not upset, but relieved. I lost everything but now I have something.

things can be different this time.

hopefully.

"you love me, right?" I ask.

"more than anything. even my own family. don't tell them though."

I laugh a little. "when did you want to seal the deal?"

"hmm... soon. as cute as fiancé is, it doesn't sound quite as nice as husband."

my face burns a little. I had a husband once, we all know how that went. but this feels entirely different from then. there's nothing I have that Wilbur could want from me. fear was still there but it was far away in the back of my mind.

"in the morning we should plan... get it over with and quick. and then let's just fucking run." I suggest.

"run where?"

"far. we are too hated here. we can stay close to visit some people, but it'll need a journey. but it will be just us. no need for secrets, fighting, explosions. us. peacefully."

"I like it. but I also like sleeping. night."

I scoff and laugh at him as he fake snores. I smack his chest playfully.

"dumbass. goodnight."

"I love you."

"love you too."

and we finally go to sleep in eachothers arms.

--------------------------------------------
I wake up the next morning with my back sore as hell. the campfire has been put out. the sound of my stomach growling rings through the empty van.

where's Wilbur? I get up to my feet after realizing he wasn't there. my blueprints are gone too, but that's the least of my worries.

I walk out of the van and the morning sunrise is right in my eyes. I block its view and look at Las Nevadas. it's a bad taste in my mouth to look at.

I shake my thoughts of Las Nevadas and focus on finding Wilbur. I pick a direction away from Las Nevadas and make head way.

I cup my hands around my mouth and call out his name.

"Wilbur! Wil? Hello!?"

I keep walking I try calling him. I remember my communicator and pull it out.