𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 1

𝖄𝖊𝖆𝖗𝖘 𝕺𝖋 𝕱𝖗𝖎𝖊𝖓𝖉𝖘𝖍𝖎𝖕

Grass that was once coated with snow began to show as it was the beginning of Spring in Avonlea. The sun was at its highest peak, the winds blew a cold thin breeze, and the ground was moist and earthy.

It was peaceful at this time, most of the people of Avonlea doing their everyday routines, starting to grow new crops just in time for Spring. Some would say it was calming, well it was until a fit of giggles can be heard from the vast field behind the Blythe Residence, in the Strawberry Apple Orchard.

"Hurry up and catch me!" A high-pitched voice giggled as she ran faster than her feet could take her, the pale purple dress she wore dirtied, her blonde hair tangled with the winds that blew her face.

"Don't be so confident!" A young boy with dark curls ran after the green-eyed girl as they ran, their joy evident with the grin that was cast on their face, 

Gilbert Blythe and Cassandra Deighton were only six years old when they found themselves chasing after each other in Blythe's Orchards. 

The origins of this friendship were wholesome and kind that originated with a friendship that lasted an eternity.

Allison Bartley, or currently Allison Deighton, and Margaret Smith, or also known as Margaret Blythe were only as young as their children when they promised themselves to be the best of friends. And they both followed that promise, till they got married to Christopher Deighton and Jonh Blythe, carried children together, and made their children just like them.

Gilbert Blythe and Cassandra Deighton have been kindred spirits from the moment they both opened their eyes, some would say they were too close to each other as if they were stuck by their hips.

"Do you see this, Gil?" Nine-year-old Cassandra called, "Pretty much so, Cass." Gilbert said as they both neared the cliff,

"The world is ever so beautiful! I dream to explore it one day, see everything it has to offer." The girl muttered in astonishment.

"And I will be there with you," Gilbert replies, "Of course, you will. We shall finally break free from the chains that hold us in Avonlea, setting forth into the world we dear, seeing something as ethereal as this." She recited full with exaggerated emotions,

"And I, your handsome and daring knight, shall protect my princess until my very last breath," Gilbert says, kneeling on one knee and catching the girl's hand.

"Your beautiful princess had placed her trust on you, dear handsome knight, to protect and accompany me to the dangerous path I shall take," Cassandra played along,

"Dear princess, I shall hold dear to your trust, giving you my utmost loyalty and honesty," Gilbert laughed, "And now my dear knight, I shall crown you as my one and only, protector." Cassandra giggles,

"We shall make an oath, dear knight," Cassandra says, her eyebrows furrowed as a million ideas running through her head, picking up an iris from the ground she turned to Gilbert with bright eyes,

"With this iris, we shall promise to forever protect one another from any harm and to always be kindred spirits." The girl exclaimed with emotions, "Of course." Gilbert replies with a genuine smile.

Giggles and laughs echoed throughout the cliffs, pure joy and innocence displayed in the scene, such beauty and happiness could never be replaced.

Though of course, life wouldn't be life without its challenges.

Sobs filled Gilbert's house, his older siblings all away, leaving him and his father alone. The lovely Margaret Bythe had passed, leaving a void in Gilbert, John, Cassandra, and especially Allison.

Margaret had always treated Cassandra as her daughter, she simply adored the girl, especially because she resembled her mother the most. That was why Cassandra was sat down next to ten-year-old Gilbert, consoling and comforting him.

She was also hurting, of course. Though she couldn't imagine the pain Gilbert must be experiencing, so she was there smiling though tears corrupted her vision, holding Gilbert close to her, echoes of the last words Margaret said to her filled her mind.

Take care of him, Cass. He loves you very much, more than you think he does.

Life wasn't normal for a while. Though the blonde tried her best to cheer her friend and her mother. But after a painfully slow eleven months, the pain passed, and Gilbert's eyes were filled with hope and acceptance. 

Cassandra learned a very special lesson at this time, she learned to treasure time and do what would give you joy as you breathe, as you wouldn't know when the last time you would.