𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 14

𝕬𝖈𝖈𝖊𝖕𝖙𝖆𝖓𝖈𝖊

𝕬𝖈𝖈𝖊𝖕𝖙𝖆𝖓𝖈𝖊

Cassandra was a pretty open-minded person, she embraced the new with open arms, even though Gilbert had warned her a few times not to, she didn't judge for what she was taught to believe in, she judged based on what she thought was right for herself.

She always believed that people could do whatever they did as long as they weren't hurting her or any other people.

Though the rest of the world didn't think like that at all.

They were used to normal things. But there was a saying that Margaret Blythe used to say so much when they were younger, it was that one idea seemed new once, until it wasn't.

Winter was at its peak and Allison was helping Jennifer Mackenzie with her children as she helped her husband out of jail. Cole and Cassandra were currently sitting in the dining area as Cassandra's mother helped the kids to sleep.

Cassandra thought of her brother as she drew, they left him to work on the farm, though she knew he didn't like the farm at all, it helped with his fascination with herbs and flowers. The boy wanted to learn more of it, though their mother couldn't even afford college for him.

Cassandra always had to accept the truth that she won't be going to college. So her only option of fulfilling her dreams is to marry a man who wanted the same as her, though that won't be very realistic. She just ignored the truth as always and continued with her life.

"Hey, Cole." She called as she halts her painting to look at the boy, he raised his eyebrow to answer as he was too focused on his drawing to look at her.

"Do you think... if your father isn't always betting money, would you have a better life?" Cassandra asked, Cole was completely taken aback at her question as he cleared his throat.

"Of course. If he wasn't a drunkard and actually did something for our family- I would be in an art school right now and not rotting away doing his responsibilities as a replacement." He says, venom coating his words as his eyes filled with resentment for his father.

"I'm sorry, Cole... That was insensitive of me." She gave the boy a sympathetic smile, "Though I can't help but wonder if...I won't be stuck in to be married to a man to get a good life if my father hadn't left." She mentions as tears escaped her eyes as she did.

Cole handed the girl a handkerchief and patted her back,

"Even if your life isn't what you wanted it to be, it's better now that you're free than stuck with a man who's too irresponsible to stand as your father. Just imagine, he might be an abuser? And he might even hurt you as my father does-" "Your father hurts you?" Cassandra cuts him off,

"What-? I-I no, I-" Cole stuttered, "Why Cole?" The girl asked as he took his hand, "He says I'm too weak." He inhaled sharply, "Too weak because I cry and I fall down and- he said it would toughen me up. Mother doesn't know about it, I would rather die than she figures it out." He explains, his cheeks stained with tears as they fell.

"Oh, Cole." The girl exclaims as she pulled him in for a hug, "But you should tell someone! This isn't alright at all-" "I can't!" He shouts, cutting her off, "They-they won't believe me because it's true! I'm not like other boys, I-I'm weak! I-" He confessed,

"Not like other boys-?" The girl asked confused, "I'm weird, d-different. I'm like the people you see in the newspapers. The one who gets hanged-? I don't know! It's- I hate it!" He stuttered as he yelled, Cassandra pulled him in for another hug.

She knew it too well. Her mother always complained about it, she always told her that different or not, they shouldn't justify taking a life just because they aren't like anyone else.

"Cole, it's alright. It's not weird or bad at all, it's just unique! You're unique, Cole. You should embrace who you are," The girl says, "But people hate it. They hate me." He sobbed, "No they don't! I'm a person and I don't hate you!" The girl defends,

"One day, people would think it as a good thing. I know it, Cole." Cassandra smiled as she comforted the girl,

Luckily enough, her mother didn't hear them as the babies cried loudly. Cole was thankful for the girl, for if he hadn't told her, he would think it was better to end it all than live a life full of misery.