𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 8

𝖂𝖊 𝕲𝖔𝖙 𝕬 𝕽𝖚𝖓𝖓𝖊𝖗

The class resumed as boring as always, though this time, Mr. Phillips was writing down math problems on the board as the class followed, trying to solve them.

A certain curly-haired boy distracted Cassandra from her work, he was bothering Anne again, throwing a piece of chalk towards the girl, she stiffens as he did.

"Whoops," The boy muttered, Ruby's eyes followed as Cassandra groaned at him, 

"Hey," He whispers, "Carrots!" He pulled Anne's braid, which Cassandra was surprised at. Gilbert usually acted mature and kind, what in the name of God was happening here?

"I'm not talking to you!" The girl shouts, clutching her slate as he slaps him across the face with it, catching the attention of the whole class.

Shocked was an understatement for the blonde girl, first of all, her best friend who she knows as a kind and polite boy, just insulted her new friend and called her carrots, and second of all, her friend just slapped her best friend with a slate.

"Anne!" She stood up, Anne stood shocked at her actions, her slate cracked after what she did, Cassandra gasped in disbelief, 

"You just did." Gilbert managed to smile as he returned to his seat, though he caught a glimpse of Cassandra's worried and sharp glare.

"Shirley!" Mr. Phillips snaps, Cassandra sat down with a worried glance facing Gilbert, though he mouthed 'I'm fine' to her, knowing she was worried he got hurt.

"Get up here! Now!" Mr. Phillips commanded with a scowl, "What a vicious display!" The teacher shouts, "Is this what they taught you in the orphanage?!" He erupts, "Unacceptable!" Anne dragged her feet towards the board,

"Anne Shirley has a very bad temper." Mr. Phillips wrote on the board as poor Anne stood in front.

"Now stand here and stay put. Now the rest of you, pipe down!" Mr. Phillips instructs, making the class hush.

"Let this serve as a lesson to you, that we do not tolerate such display of temper, here in a civilized society." Mr. Phillips explains looking at Anne, the girls smiled to themselves.

Cassandra didn't know who she was going to side with, Gilbert was cradling his face, Anne was on the verge of tears, and the girls were laughing and giggling at her.

How terrible the world has become. For Cassandra, it seemed that everyone was in the wrong, though she had to prioritize her best friend first.

"It was my fault!" Gilbert stood, "Sir, I-um...t-teased her." Gilbert reasoned, "Quiet Blythe, that is hardly an excuse." Mr. Phillips answered as the class erupted in laughs,

"Quiet all of you, and return to your lessons." He commands and continues with the lesson.

"Thirty minus six, divided by three, equals..." He states as Cassandra continued on her task, her mind a mess as she wrote down the equation.

Anne breathed heavily, taking a step away from the board.

"Where do you think you're going?" Mr. Phillips says,

Cassandra looked at the girl in sadness,

She stepped another and another.

Mr. Phillips called and yelled,

though she didn't look back,

Until she got her hat and ran away, closing the door with a slam.

Cassandra felt bad as the class resumed, not bothering to look for the girl.

-♛-

Class ended, and the girl hurried to get her things as she hurried over to Gilbert.

Harshly grabbing his face to where Anne had slapped him, there was a dark red bruise that would soon turn purple stamped on his jaw.

Cassandra clicked her tongue, "What happened to being responsible and being matured, unlike the other boys?" She snaps at the boy, 

"Well- I didn't know she was going to hit me!" Gilbert defended,

"You shouldn't have teased her either way. The girl didn't want to talk to you and I already explained the reason why. You should've just left her alone. Now, look at the consequences of your actions." She scolds, "Ugh- alright! You sound like my mother," Gilbert mutters,

Cassandra looks at the boy and halts her actions, "I'm sorry..." She whispers, Gilbert looks at her in concern, "No, no. It's fine-" He says,

"Just- let's get you home, yeah? I assume father might be needing me as well." He smiles as he opens the door for the blonde,

Finally reaching home, Gilbert looked at Cassandra with a tight smile, "I'll see you tomorrow, same time as always." He mutters, "Mhm." She hummed,

"Gilbert-" Cassandra turns, making Gilbert stop, "You do know that no matter what I do or say, I care for you and she told me to care for you- I'm not taking it as an obligation at all but, it's just that- I truly care for you and I'll always be here." She smiled, hugging the hazel-eyed boy, startling him a bit.

"I know, I care for you too." He hugs back,

"Alright. See you." Cassandra smiles as she waved,

Though something felt different that day,

two beating hearts beat for each other,

feelings of butterflies filled them both,

though they both knew that feeling already.

Because they've been feeling it ever since they oath on that iris.