𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 21

𝕯𝖊𝖓𝖎𝖆𝖑

The skies were gloomy as snow fell, the pavement became slippery the more she walked, she was freezing cold as she hadn't bothered to take her coat or scarf as she was trying to catch the boy.

She was alone in the middle of the day in Charlottetown.

Tears rolled down from her eyes and stained her cheeks, her teeth chattering as she hugged herself, some people looked her way, though they had many important things to do and hadn't bothered to even ask the blonde what was wrong.

Though she didn't notice her state as she walked, because her mind was full of thoughts of denial.

"He didn't leave. No- he was working at the boat, and he was called in. He'll be back! I know he would. He would never leave me, I'm his best friend, he loves me. He told me he loves me."

"This is just a joke- right? Anne was playing with me, and Gilbert didn't get in that ship and he'll be back home. He will...right?"

"He couldn't have left! What about his house? What about the farm? What about me?"

The girl looked eyes with the train personnel that was handing her the ticket home, she smiled slightly as she took it with her frozen hand.

Boarding the train, she finally took a glance at her surroundings. The sun was beginning to set, and the snow just intensified. Her mother was going to get so mad at her.

Her mother!

"Maybe Gilbert was with her mother. Maybe he was having tea with her. Maybe her mother was comforting him. He was home, she knew he was home. He wouldn't have left. He wouldn't."

The girl finally arrived in Avonlea as she started to walk the treacherous journey to her house.

Only to find that it was dark but there was one lit lantern by the porch.

It was her mother, asleep by the porch, waiting for her.