Chapter Twelve: Doctor Pimple Popper

Warner grabs my hand, and we pass through the crowd; I can sense a lull through the commotion wherever we pass from. People are staring, and I am not surprised that they are; the prodigal Warner Brooks is back from University, he's like the main attraction at a circus. It doesn't make sense for the main attraction to be hanging out with Jiggly Juliet.

After a few minutes, I realize that nobody recognizes me. We passed by multiple girls from high school who used to make my life hell, and they only gave me a look because I have Warner at my side. I know the difference between jealousy and the look of utter disgust I used to receive from these people.

He takes us to a corner that isn't as cramped as the rest of the space, and the moment I hear the first words leading to Buttons by the Pussy Cat dolls, I jump in happiness. It's all so new to me, yet It's like I was this person all along, the one without any inhibitions or insecurities. I feel exhilarated and giddy as the people around me start dancing to the one song I've rocked out to in the privacy of my room way too much.

I was glad I drank as much as I did and begin my routine, one I have perfected for this very song. Warner laughs, and I don't protest when he places his hands on my waist and begins moving at the same pace as me. I've always known that he was a good dancer; I put my hands on his shoulders as we both allow the catchy beat to guide our steps.

It's surreal, really, an out-of-body experience as I watch our bodies moving in sync and realize that Warner and I are having a good time, no scratch that great time together. He lets go of me only to twirl me around and then press my back into his chest as he wraps his arms around my waist, swaying us to the sound of the music. I don't even have time to worry about my body when his hands touch my waist, and I feel like I'm on cloud nine as I dance my heart out with Warner by my side.

The song ends, and it takes a few seconds for the next one to start, but that is enough for two things to happen almost simultaneously. The first is that I realize I am pressed way too tightly against Warner, and our chests are heaving up and down almost at the same rate. My back's facing him, so I can't see his face, but with the way he's holding me, I realize that maybe he's enjoying this a bit too much.

"Where the hell did that come from?" I turn around to face a grinning Warner. It is easy to forget that he is supposed to be my nemesis when he smiles at me like that.

Before I can answer him, my theory about nobody recognizing me is confirmed. The party host James Stone has spotted me, and he puts himself in between Warner and me.

"Warner, why have you not introduced me to your friend? Hi, my name is James." He puts out his hand, and I shake it. Does this guy not realize it is me? James Stone was talking to me... the same guy who invited every person in our grade but me to his fifteenth birthday party. The guy who told me I should go on doctor pimple popper when I showed up to school with a massive pimple on my forehead. Now he was hitting on me at a party with no clue who I am.

I never understood the superhero movies where their disguise is literally glasses, and somehow nobody recognizes them. Suddenly I was starting to understand. At least in my case, I got rid of way more than just my glasses; I also got rid of the huge pimples he used to make fun of.

"Yes, you have." I smile, entertained by the puzzled look on his face.

"I would remember a face like yours." James takes a step closer to me, and I heard Warner let out a snort. I look at him, and he is holding in a laugh.

"Well, I would definitely remember your face with a pimple like that on your forehead." As soon as the words leave my mouth, his jaw drops to the floor. This was so fun. His hand goes to his face, and he looks like he wants to whip out his front camera and check out his forehead.