Chapter Thirty-Seven: I'm Done With You

The crowd was huge today. I had never seen the stadium so packed. Everyone's friends and families seemed to come out just to watch Westshore lose. The last thing I wanted to be doing was cheering at this match. Especially since I knew we were going to lose. To make matters worse, Amy came up with a great idea to have each cheerleader wear one of the player's jerseys at the game. Right as she announced it and brought the jerseys in, Jaiden grabbed Warner's before I could even blink.

I thought of the last soccer game I went to and felt a pang in my chest. The memory of Warner winning the game for me like I asked him. And now he had to lose.

"Here's Adam's jersey; I'm sorry Jaiden took Warner's." Abby handed me the oversized jersey, and I sighed.

"Better than Marko's." I slid the jersey over my uniform and tied it off like a dress.

"Where's Emily?" I ask. She wasn't at the event last night either. I was dreading seeing her after the lovely comments she left on Sierra's post.

"I kicked her off. I don't stand for bullying on my team." Amy smiled at me and scanned the room of girls. "So, think about that next time you guys feel like putting down another woman on the team."

God, I loved my friends.

We stepped out, and the crowd was even bigger than it was before we went into the changerooms. I didn't think we could fit many more people into the stadium. The game wasn't even starting for half an hour, and people were already cheering the guys on as they warmed up. The donation booth had a long line of people buying merch and raffle tickets. It looked to be an all-around success. I hoped the Westshore fans would still be happy even if we lost.

We walked over to the benches to start stretching, and I scanned the crowd. I spotted Maggie, who came to support us and gave her a big wave. I looked over at the benches and saw Warner's dad, who was already staring at me. I felt queasy at the eye contact and dropped my eyes to my shoes instead.

Thankfully Winston walked over to Abby and me, "I can't believe you are wearing some guy's jersey. What if he gets the wrong idea and thinks you want him?" he frowns at Abby.

"Well, they will see this and know I don't" she kisses him, and he shuts right up. I smile at the sight; seeing my friends happy makes me happy.

"Well, I hope Warner gets the right idea." Jaiden grins and then gives me an apologetic look noticing my presence. "Sorry, Juliet, but a man like that doesn't stay single for long. I have to pounce while I can."

I forced a smile, but I am pretty sure it still looked like a scowl. The guys finish their warmup and come over to join us, I'm looking for Warner, and his eyes find mine right away. He sends me a small smile until he sees the number of the jersey I am wearing. The last name on my back. Oh god, first the date and now this. I was digging myself a deep hole.

"Warner, I-" I step towards him, and he ignores me completely; his jaw is clenched, and I think he is holding in some choice words. How was I supposed to explain when he won't even talk to me?

Adam walks up to me instead. "Juliet, as much as I love you in my jersey, I think Warner might actually kill me soon. Is that the plan?" He glances over at Warner, who is now being fussed over by Jaiden. She is wiping his sweat with a towel as if he can't do it himself.

"I did not plan this! Jaiden took his jersey before I could. And Abby gave me this one. I'm sorry I don't- "

"Juliet, it's okay. I am kidding. I know we are just friends; I just don't think Warner is getting that impression." He nods over to him again, but this time he is staring right at us. His hand is holding a water bottle so tightly the water is pouring out the sides. However, my lucky ribbon is still around his wrist, and I feel my chest loosen at the sight of it.