Chapter Fifty Two: Recovery

I was finally cleared to leave the hospital and go back to the dorms. I was going stir crazy alone in the hospital room for a week while all my friends were back at school. I got extra time for my exams because of my concussion which was nice, but I was worried it would affect my grades anyways. I was still a nerd deep down and I needed top marks to get into one of the top law schools when I graduated.

Warner had visited every single day since I have been here. Even Kenji had delayed going back to his own University to visit me, he felt guilty about the incident just like Warner but I think I finally convinced them it wasn't their fault.

I pathetically hoped my mom might visit. Every time the nurse said I had a visitor there was a split second when I hoped I would see her come into the room, apologize to me and tell me she missed me. That didn't happen though.

The nurse discharged me, and Warner immediately sweeps out my feet and carries me bridal style to his car. He carries me, placing me in the passenger seat, going as far as to buckle me in. No sooner had he slipped into the driver seat than he was fishing my hand off my lap and pulling it onto his, linking our fingers together.

When we arrive at the dorm and park he opens the passenger door for me. His hands undo the seatbelt before pulling me into his broad build for a front piggyback.

"I can walk, Warner," I tell him, pressing my forehead to his shoulder.

He makes a noise in his throat. "Give me this, Jules," he said hoarsely before I am up in his arms with my head nestled right into his neck as we go inside.

I look up for a moment and see that there is a police car parked outside the dorm. The police haven't been able to locate Warner's dad anywhere, so the station decided it would be safest to have a police officer stationed outside our dorm in case we are targeted again or if Matt decides to pay us a visit.

The story got out to the press with a warrant for Matt Brooks arrest, so I'm sure word has spread throughout campus about it. I already dealt with enough stares from the post Sierra made of me, so this was only going to add fuel to the fire.

Warner doesn't stop in the living room or in the kitchen where I'm sure our friends are waiting. Instead, he weaves our way into his bedroom, setting me down on his bed as he toes off his boots and I do the same to my own shoes.

Those brilliant green eyes lock on mine. He breathes, "I don't know what the fuck I'll do if something else happens to you." He kneels in front of me and squeezes my kneecaps. "It scared the living shit out of me seeing you in that hospital."

Warner's hands hold me firmly. One hand slips up to cup my cheek tenderly as he presses his forehead to my temple. "I don't ever want to feel that way again."

"I'm okay now," I whisper, placing my hand over the one he had high on my thigh. Warner wasn't scared of anything, not bugs, the dark, clowns, scary movies, or the possibility of getting hurt. Nothing.

The fact that he has been scared for me spears right through my gut.

He frowns when I say I'm okay and I sense there is something else he wants to say. Instead, he tips his head to touch his lips to mine. "I'll never let anything like that happen to you again," he murmurs as his thumb brushes over my cheekbone. When I don't say anything in response, mainly because I am so wrapped up in his touch, he kisses the side of my mouth.

"I would like to keep you in this room to myself but unfortunately I have to share you with your friends." He sighs taking my hand and bringing me back to my feet.

"They're your friends too." I tease smacking his butt on my way out. I start to run because I know he will try to get me back but luckily; I see our friends all waiting.