Chapter Fourteen: Worst Thanksgiving Ever

I turned my walk home into a run, my mom would be so proud of me. However, once she finds out that I will not be attending dinner at the Brook's house she won't be. I didn't regret anything I said, I was being a naive idiot letting Warner get close to me like that. A few months ago he was the enemy and now I was letting him cook me breakfast? 

Pathetic.

Humiliation feels like a weight pressing against my chest, making it nearly impossible to breathe. Every part of me is burning, with rage, confusion and sadness.

This was supposed to be a fresh start for me and I was letting people from my past affect me. Warner was ruining everything, I needed to get back to University where nobody knew who I was. 

Once I got inside I felt dizzy, I had gone on two long runs and all I have eaten today was the gross green juice my mom made me this morning. My head was also aching from the cold tile floor Sierra hit it on. All I want to do is go to sleep. 

My phone buzzes when I finally get to my bed. I nearly jump in surprise at who had messaged me.

Hey, I am going back to the dorms early! Do you want a ride? Warner said you might need one - Adam

Geez, Warner sure was quick to get rid of me, he already had my new ride set up. I had been so caught up with him that I had forgotten about the actual sweet guy who was interested in me. Not only that but he only knew me as the new Juliet and I liked that. I didn't feel like a loser around him or a fake.

I send Adam my address and start packing my bags, I knew my mom was going to be pissed but I didn't care. Pissing her off by skipping dinner was worth it in my eyes because it meant I didn't have to hear her make comments about every single thing I ate. 

I passed by my mirror when I was shoving my clothes in my suitcase and saw that a bruise was already forming on my face. I have no idea how to explain that to Adam, so I try to cover it the best I can with makeup. 

My mom still isn't back and I am kind of glad. This means I can escape without having to talk to her in person. Sure it means she will be twice as mad about me leaving but it is worth it.

I was expecting Adam to just send a text when he arrives so I am shocked to hear a knock on the door. I am actually nervous to see him, what if Warner told him what really happened? My mouth starts to taste like pennies which normally means I am nervous or about to throw up. I truly hope it is nerves because I really don't feel like vomiting on Adam today. I open the door anyway.

"Juliet..?" His tone makes it sound more like a question but all I can do is look into his eyes. He searches my eyes and as he does his eyes are filled with concern and worry. He knows something is wrong. Then his eyes notice something on the right-hand side of my face - something I had failed to cover up with my makeup. A bruise forming, which had probably turned a darker shade of red. I see his body tense and then go rigid.

"Who did this to you?" he asks, the venom of anger seeping into his voice. I watch his adam's apple bounce up and down as he swallows, his body still as a statue. 

"Nobody did anything Adam I fell, now can we please go before my mom gets back? She is kind of scary and I am having a bad day I just really want to go back to the dorms" my pleading eyes seemed to work on him because he nodded and walked towards his car.

"You better not be lying" there was anger and worry still evident in his eyes as he opened the passenger door for me. 

Before I get in the car he cups my head in his hands and pulls me close to his chest to console me. He rocks me from side to side holding me tightly in his arms. We stayed there for a bit, with me securely wrapped in Adam's arms. I breathe in his cologne for the last time before pulling away.