Chapter Fifty-Five: Unhealthy

Today marks 30 days of being purge free. I walk back from class feeling proud of myself for the first time in a while.

I knew there would be good days and bad days during my recovery process but lately, I have been having a lot of good days. The day gets even better when I walk into the living room after class and Warner comes flying at me.

"I got the house! My real estate agent called this morning!" He spins me around in his arms before I make it a foot in the door.

Today is definitely a good day.

"Oh my gosh, that's amazing!" I cheer.

"We get the keys June 1st. Tracey can finally end her lease on that apartment, and we can all move in together for the next school year." 

"Tracey really doesn't mind living with a bunch of college students?" I ask and he finally puts me down, letting my feet touch the floor but keeping a grip on my waist.

"I think that's the part she is most excited for. We keep her young." Warner grins and I nuzzle my head into his chest. It warms my heart that he bought a house and ensured there would be a room for his mom. I was so happy for them.

"Did you tell her?" Abby comes barrelling into the room and brings us into a group hug with her. I pull away from Warner to give her a proper hug and we jump up and down together.

"I can't wait! We will actually have a backyard, a huge one!" Abby squeals and I match her excited squeals.

I would stay squealing with her but I had a therapy appointment with Dr. Ivey and she had specifically asked Warner to tag along to this one. I was a bit nervous to have Warner in the room with us but my recovery was going well so I had to trust Dr. Ivey knew what she was doing.

When Warner and I walk outside I let out a groan. Over the past month, there have been news reporters outside trying to get a statement about Warner's dad but they were always escorted away by one of the police officers who have been parked out front of our building to keep watch in case Matt came back. However, there is no police car outside today.

Something is wrong

A reporter is standing outside the building and when he spots us leaving the building hand in hand his eyes light up.

"Mr. Brooks! Are you off to visit your father?"

What is he talking about?

Warner whirls around, letting go of me. He steps up to the reporter "Back the fuck off," he barks at him.

The pap holds his hands up and takes a step backward. "Just asking! I didn't say you were involved. I was just wondering if you are going to visit him." He gives a shrug.

Visit where? Why would we visit him when we have no idea where he is? Did they find him?

Warner is clearly thinking the same thing, "You're talking shit," he growls.

I slide my trembling hand into Warners and tug on it. "Let's just go, Warner. Please."

Warner's eyes come to mine. Angry and frustrated. It feels like forever before he nods his agreement, and then we're moving again. Quicker this time.

Warner's car is mere feet away.

The reporter is still following us though. I think the guy must have a death wish. "Hey, Juliet, can you confirm whether the rumours that you also used to sleep with Matt Brooks for his money are true? And then you went for his son instead when he rejected you?"

It happens so fast that I'm helpless to stop it.

Warner has the reporter by the throat. His big hand around the guy's neck, he shoves him backward, practically lifting him off his feet, hitting his back into Warner's car. His camera drops to the floor with a loud crack.