Chapter Thirty-Eight: I Want You On My Team

I was so angry.

Angry at myself for letting Warner leave for the party thinking, I hooked up with Adam under the bleachers. And angry at Warner for believing a stupid rumour over me. For saying he was done with me, for throwing that ribbon to the ground and telling me he was going to get lucky with girls tonight.

Amy filled me in on the rumour as soon as I found her. Sam had told almost everyone that he saw me giving Adam a blow job under the bleachers. I was seething; the funniest part was that I had never even given a blowjob before. If the gossip about that Instagram post wasn't bad enough now, I had to deal with people calling me a cheating whore as well. Even though Warner and I weren't together anymore. Not to mention I also didn't fucking do it.

Amy was doing her best to clear my name, but the rumour had already spread like wildfire. I couldn't let it bother me because I was going to that party, and I was going to make Warner talk to me whether he wanted to or not.

Luckily, I had backup. Maggie, Abby, Sarah and Amy all got ready with me at my house. I changed into tight leather pants and a lace bodysuit. Abby, Maggie and Amy had raided my closet for party clothes; it was nice finally having a wardrobe I could share with my friends. Maggie and I weren't able to share in high school, not unless she wanted to go for an oversized look.

We were in the uber to Max's house, and I was trying to calm my breathing. But with each minute that passed, my nerves got worse. I was scared that I might not be able to get Warner to listen to me. Even if he did believe me, would he take me back? Would he forgive me for pushing him away? The thought of truly losing him hurt more than I liked to admit.

Max's house was packed, and students filled the house, front yard and back yard. Even the street was full of people. I keep my head up high and walk up to the door with my friends at my side. I just had to find Warner and explain. Even Adam agreed that he would meet me here and try to talk some sense into Warner. I was thankful he was willing to face Warner's rage just to clear our names.

I could do this.

We walked towards the door, and I spotted Kenji arriving at the same time. I remembered the last words Kenji said to me, and my confidence faltered. I'm sure with this new rumour, he had some more choice words for me. I avoided his gaze, even though I felt it on the side of my face. Unfortunately, he wasn't going to let me get away that easy because his arm shot out and wrapped around my wrist.

"Not now, Kenji," I grit out and tried to pull my wrist back, but he wasn't letting go. I gave my friends the go-ahead look, "I'll meet you guys inside; let me know if you find him." And turn back to Kenji.

"I ran into Adam earlier." Kenji's hands were in his pockets, and he looked guilty.

"And?"

"And I'm sorry for what I said. For believing that you would do that to Warner, I should've known better. I never should've said you don't deserve him; I was just upset he didn't tell me about the breakup, and I saw how he was looking at you and Adam- "he kicked a nearby stone, still not looking me in the eye. "Adam told me nothing happened, and he also told me that you asked him to throw the game. He might not know why you asked him to do that, but I do"

My heartbeat sped up. Kenji knew about Warner's dad. "I did it for Warner. I wanted to help."

He nods at me. "I know. I'm sorry, Juliet, for doubting you. Of course, you deserve Warner, and he deserves a girl like you. Someone who is brave enough to stand up to his dad. I came here to try to talk to him. I texted him, but I don't think he got it."

"So did I." I glanced towards the house; I needed to find him. Kenji follows me as we walked into the packed house.

I scan the room for Warner immediately and don't spot him anywhere. After some searching for what feels like forever, I receive a text from Kenji.