War Log #11: Setting the Stage

Plan of Attack at Midway

All the senior officers clapped at the once two Sailors of the USS Arizona, now been promoted to Admirals by Nimitz himself, to both ships to be the exact. Both Admirals salute as they focused on what the plan is.

Ad. Missouro: What's the plan?

Ad. Chester W. Nimitz: We're setting a trap.

Ad. Chester W. Nimitz: Our carriers will lie and wait northeast of Midway.

Ad. Chester W. Nimitz: Now, we have a picket line of submarines here... As for Midway the island itself...

Ad. Nimitz taps Midway on the map 

Ad. Chester W. Nimitz: We have crammed every plane we can spareonto that runway. But this time, if we are lucky, surprise will be on our side.

Ad. Raymond A. Spruance: Layton, how reliable are these estimates of the Japanese positions?

R. Ad. Edwin Layton: They represent our best guess basedon the intelligence that we have. 

Ad. Raymond A. Spruance: I can't plan around a guess. 

Nimitz locks on Layton. 

Ad. Chester W. Nimitz: I understand that I'm asking theimpossible, but I need you to be more specific. Everything depends on ourforces being in the right place atthe right time. 

Layton considers the question and then turns to Rochefort,who is standing in the corner of the room. The attention briefly causes Rochefort to shrink into himself,but then he swallows hard and speaks in a level voice. With everyone waiting for his reports.

Joseph Rochefort: From thenorthwest at a bearing of 325 degrees, at the morning of June. The Japanese will be attacking there, they will be sighted 175-185 miles from Midway at 0700 local time.

Ad. Illiohem: No objections for this matter. Even if Washington objects this, he is wrong Again.

Ad. Missouro: It is up to God that we are correct, for we are sided with the good. The Allies are giving all of us hope and prayers that we will end this damn war.

All the senior officers didn't make a sound after that, knowing that the recent report that Washington disagrees, the Admirals' words make them silent.

Ad. Nimitz then looks at Ad. Spruance.

Ad. Chester W. Nimitz: These are the men I trust, so makeyour plans accordingly. 

Ad. Raymond A. Spruance: YES SIR!

Ad. Chester W. Nimitz: As for the new admirals. You will be leading the USS Missouri and USS Illinois as escorts and protectors to our aircraft carriers.

Both Admirals: We have no objections Admiral.

Ad. Chester W. Nimitz: Dismissed!

All senior officers left the main office, Admiral Missouro and Admiral Illiohem went to port where their crew are waiting. At USS Missouri, the once Sailor #034 was now ranked as Admiral Missouro, his crew at the battleship all saluted at him. At the USS Illinois, the once Sailor #075 was now ranked as Admiral Illiohem, his crew saluted at him before both announced.

Ad. Missouro: We are preparing for the incoming operation, a very important operation! We will be living in a few hours, so we all must prepare for this!

Ad. Illiohem: Our nation is depending on us! When we sink those enemy carriers, the Japanese will be now running like a mouse!

Meanwhile at the Enterprise fleet, June 3, 1942