Peace Log #4: Iowan Culture

1990s - 2000s The situation of the Iowa-class battleships

After the historical preservation of the Iowa-class battleships, the last of the battleships, everything changed ever since the war and the end of the Soviet Union. The world have been normal, it was in peace and harmony, no wars happening on that time, and as such the naval powers have changed.

The Soviet Union collapsed in 1991, making Russia the new government for the nation, with former states such as Ukraine and Belorrusiya. Aside from the nations, Germany had  been reunited and Japan was now an independent country after the Americans left them for their own future. Both former Axis nations have changed ever since.

Technology was rising as well as thousands of inventions are made for the whole world to experience the new life with the new technology that was in store for them.

From radios and telegraphs, to the first computer and television. From horses to trains, cars, buses, and other vehicles. New buildings have been constructed, new laws have been signed, and as well as many industries.

For the most part, people tend to always study about the Second World War. To be honest, I don't get it on how WW2 was more studied and somehow famous than the first, which is the Great War. But that's not important right now, but what is important is the many former battleships and aircraft carriers that served the war. Unlike Germany and Japan, they only have a few preserved battleships.

Great Britain or now the name is United Kingdom has a few WW2 artifacts, the only famous was HMS Belfast. The rest are schooner ships as well as submarines and gunboats. The US however, having a huge land mass, they have preserved many WW2 era and Cold War era ships.

Mostly of them are Destroyers, Submarines, Cruisers, Battleships, and Aircraft Carriers. The battleships that are preserved are the South Dakota-class, North Carolina-class, New York-class, and the Iowa-class.

When it comes to films, there is alot of industries that used the Iowa-class battleships on different forms of media such as news, music videos, concerts, movies, and war documentaties.

The History Channel documentary series Battle 360: USS Enterprise, the DIscovery Channel documentary on the Top 10 Fighting Ships, to which the Iowa-class was ranked the Number 1.

The USS Missouri is however the most popular on his years of being preserved, appearing in popular culture. Examples of it are the WW2 film "Under Siege" released in 1992. And also the digusting train wreck a movie of "Pearl Harbor" released in 2001.

"The 2001 Pearl Harbor was Michael  Bay's version of the famous movie the Titanic released in 1997 by James Cameron. We all agree that Michael Bay really disrespects the Attack on Pearl Harbor because he wanted to add a love story to the attack, as well as many wrong points at Pearl Harbor."

"I suggest you to watch the Nostalgia Critic's video about Pearl Harbor. He makes a lot of good points on why Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor is trash!"

The USS Missouri was also in Cher's "If I Could Turn Back Time" released in July 1, 1989, but the US Navy wassn't happy with the output because of its sexual nature of her performance.

On September 19, 2009, the Rock Band, the "Vamps" performed their finale US tour onboard the Missouri, to which it gave the ship another name known as the "Rocking Mo" by Vamps fans.

On October 1995, in Japan, they released an anime series entitled, "Neon Genesis Evangelion", to which on Episode 8 it makes an appearance to the last two ships.

In Episode 8, aired on November 22, 1995 Gaghiel was the antagonist of the episode, and its up to the humans to kill this monster underwater. Asuka and Shinji on their Evangelion opened the monster's mouth as both USS Illinois and USS Kentucky used their 16"/50 caliber Mark 7 guns, they used the WW2 Design. However the ships were sacrified, went inside the monster's belly and fired its guns, destroying both WW2 ships in the process.