War Log #14: Our MISS and ILL

100...90...80...70...60...50miles...500km...

Kroeger and M. D. F. released their load targeting at the Akagi, hoping it would hit her deck while missing all the bullets the AA guns were blazing. They both pulled up the lever leaving Dick Best left. 

Ad. Naguma watches as the two bombs dropped ended missing the ship.  One bomb splashes tothe left of the bridge, sending up a sheet of water. Thesecond misses a dozen feet off the stern.

But the middle plane just continues to dive. It's so closethat Nagumo can hear the drone of its engine and see thered, white and blue insignia on the wings. Dick Best keeps his focus on the middle deck at the midddle elevator as Murray reports the altitude almost nearing for impact. Then through all the smoke and guns blazing from Akagi's AA guns...

Dick Best: GOTCHA!

He released the bomb as he pulls the lever up, the pitch of the engine changes and the plane pullsout of its dive with a reluctant howl. 

Admiral Nagumo then realizes when he sees the bomb, he instinctively ducks as then the middle elevator and deck of the Akagi was shot. The bomb detonates at the aft edge of the middleelevator. A blinding FLASH illuminates the bridge, followedby a percussion wave that hurls men to the ground and pushes Japanese aircraft off the deck. 

Murray: WOOO!!! That was a beauty sir!

M. D. F: I can't believe you shot her middle deck!

Dick Best went to out manuever the bullets fired by the other ships before escaping them, flying to reunite with the other survived planes, heading back to the Enterprise, Hornet, and Yorktown.

They  didn't know that the Hiryu sent a seperate squadron to set course to Yorktown.

Meanwhile at Kaga

The aircraft carrier was filled with smoke and flames, a Japanese pilot began to tear up as his ship was now burning, with only few fuel left, he left the carrier.

Inside the Kaga however is a ship inferno, several officers tried their best to put out the flames. Swirls of heavy smokereveal twisted metal and mangled human remains. The injuredlie moaning with nobody to help them as the able-bodied passbuckets of water in a grim chain.

They watched as on a stream of gasolinerunning down the far side of the shaft.The bottom droplet bubbles and then vaporizes with a hiss.

An instant later--

*KKKKAAAAAABBBLLLLLAAAAMMMMMMM*

*KKKRRROOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM*

*BBBBBOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMM*

There a brilliant flash shone as it was followed by cloud of flames and loud explosions.

To Ad. Nagumo's horror, as well as the crew, Kaga has fallen, a massive fuel-air explosion nearlysplits Kaga in half. An orange mushroom cloud rises fromamidships, followed in quick succession by a series of smallerblasts as the loose torpedoes and bombs detonate.

The Akagi however begins to burn as the crew had more problems right now, Genda asks Ad. Nagumo to abandon ship, but he refused seeing the Akagi as his own, he begins to tear seeing the burning embodiment of Akagi crying from the pain.

Genda: Sir, we must go. 

Nagumo turns his dazed eyes to Genda. 

Admiral Chuichi Nagumo: I have to save the ship. 

Genda: It's the captain's job to save theship. Your duty is to lead. And youcan't do that from here.

Jp. Sailor: INCOMING SHELLS!!!