Chapter 2: Plans in Motion

Terramens 18, 1613 Central Calendar, 10:25

Leiden Harbor

Currently, Meteos is sitting on a bench facing the sea while enjoying a food originating from Magicaraich Community called hamburger that he just bought from a nearby vendor, while the sea breeze blows gently. He pulled a notebook from his jacket's pocket and pondered.

'For my summer project, I want to create one of these lists, but since I'm now just a junior high school student with limited resources, the only one I can afford to create now is...'

On the notebook is a list of things that Meteos learned from his previous life, ranging from something mundane to weapons like the torpedo, guided missiles (guided magic bullets), or even something extremely ambitious like a twin-engine supermaneuverable fourth generation jet fighter. His eyes darted to a page.

'...conductive magnetic radar... yes, this is it!'

The conductive magnetic radar is a step up from the mana detector in that not only it can detect magical signatures, it can also detect non-magical objects by converting mana into electrical energy and emitting radio waves to detect them. Basically, it is a magic-powered mechanical radar. In this era, the conductive magnetic radar is only known to the Milishian people as one of Ravernal's ancient technologies and only mounted on Pal Chimeras. A rudimentary version of it is something that Meteos could afford now.

"Oh? Meteos, what a coincidence to meet you here!" A voice called out.

It broke Meteos from his musings and turned to look in the direction. There, stood a slender boy with brown hair and eyes waving at him from a distance.

"Walman..."

Walman Falkenhausen, Meteos' close friend since he was in elementary school. In his previous life, both of them were the captains of the ancient superweapon Pal Chimera during the Battle of Baltica against Gra Valkas Empire's fleet. The hotheaded Walman, with his overconfidence in the Pal Chimera, his desire to save the magic fuel by ending the battle as soon as possible, and wanting to restore the Empire's damaged pride, attempted to engage the enemy flagship, that blasted Grade Atlastar, only for his ship to be hit by an armor-piercing shell from its main gun and killed in action.

Meteos can't even avenge his friend's death because several months later, the Grade Atlastar was defeated by the Japanese.

'Not this time. I won't let you die.'

"...os! Meteos!"

"Huh!?"

He was snapped from his thought by Walman who already standing right in front of him and called out to him while snapping his fingers.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, I just had some thoughts, that's all."

"Then why are you crying?"

Tilting his head in confusion, Meteos brought a hand to his cheek, only to find out that it was wet.

"I-I'm not crying! T-there's dust in my eyes!" He sputtered in denial.

"Right..." Walman drawled.

"I am NOT crying! Stop imagining things!" Meteos replied a bit more forcefully, his cheeks reddening. 'Dammit, this is embarrassing! Why I have to think about that day now...' He thought as he rubbed his eyes with his sleeve.

"Alright, alright, whatever you say, man."

Walman shrugged and took a seat beside Meteos. After Meteos finished his hamburger, he turned at his friend.