Chapter 51: The Lady's Jousting Lance

Solmens (Month 5) 5, 1615 Central Calendar, 05:02

MOASEC Apartment Complex, San Redentore District

Is it even possible for a person to experience sugar high from memories?

Well, that might sound unlikely, but ever since Meteos 'unlocked' the knowledge related to the wonderful yet ill-fated Malakh civilization, he found himself overcome by a sense of restlessness and euphoria on the way back to the apartment, resisting the urge to impart those incoming surges onto something in particular. In addition, after discovering that the inherited memories will instantly reveal themselves whenever his mind was focused on something, Meteos was torn between exploring to what extent he could dig the memories about the Malakh civilization and refraining from fixating on random objects for too long, fearing the disorienting side effects that might come.

He also knew that he needed to sleep, but it seemed impossible to contain his racing thoughts any longer. Soaring spires, intricate designs, and elaborate formulas—be they mathematical or magical—kept dancing one after another behind his closed eyelids as he struggled to drift into slumber. As a result, he woke up in the wee hours of the next day after a period of sleep filled with tossing and turning.

Rummaging through the apartment room's office, he gathered every piece of paper he could find and started recording those insights before a worst-case scenario where they would fade into obscurity. With a feverish-like movement, Meteos began to sketch, write, and draw, filling the office with the sound of his furious scribbling.

"...Hm?"

Sometime later, when Meteos reached for the box beside him after exhausting the space on a sheet he was working on, his searching hand was met not with the expected touch of paper but with the coarse texture of a cardboard box. He turned with a perplexed frown, only to confront the realization that he had used up all the paper available.

Despite the lingering excitement still coursing through his veins and a mountain of knowledge he yearned to document, the reality of lacking the means to record it in an organized manner greatly irked the silver-haired reincarnator. The grin that had adorned his face the entire time quickly vanished without a trace.

"...Bah! This won't do...!" With an irritated grunt, Meteos stood up from lying on his stomach like a cat and stormed outside the office, leaving papers still scattered all over the room.

---

"Teacher, we have an emergency."

Upon hearing those words and feeling someone shake her shoulder, Robin, who was sleeping on the apartment's couch, jolted awake and instantly sprang into action as her training kicked in. Pulling Meteos close to her side, the professor positioned herself between him and the perceived threat. Then in a fluid motion, Robin switched the Manadriver that she kept attached to her belt from Save to Operation Mode, ready to blast the intruder to kingdom come with an instantaneous full-powered lightning strike.

"Stay behind me!"

Now, where is it? Where is the intruder—

"...Not that kind of emergency," came Meteos' deadpan tone from behind. "I woke you up because there's a disturbing lack of paper for me to write on."

Robin blinked, relaxing her stance before turning to her student with an expression tinged with exasperation. "You woke me up for a paper shortage."

"Correct."

She drew a breath and exhaled hard; her unkempt hair bobbed with the exaggerated motion. Looking at her wristwatch sitting on a nearby table, it was zero-five-oh-two hours. What a way to wake someone in the early morning.