Chapter 3: Offer

Augustusmens 25, 1613 Central Calendar, 10:00

Soldiers of the Holy Milishial Imperial Army's 39th Motorized Infantry Brigade were holding their position on a plain in the south-central part of the country. Across them, a flat expanse mainly consisted of dry grass spread out, ended in a small hill where what appears to be a cave can be seen.

This morning, a group of miners has reported the discovery of a ruin most likely left behind by the Ancient Sorcerous Empire filled with dormant monsters in strange liquid-filled tubes. As a response, the military has ordered the local garrison to evacuate the nearby towns and prepare an operation to exterminate the monsters. The soldiers are finishing setting up ice magic stone-cooled machine guns, barbed wire fences, and sandbags. In a command tent in the rear, a soldier reported to his superior.

"Sir, all units are finished preparations and are waiting for your orders."

"Good. Are the people from Ancient Ministry here yet?"

"They should be here in a few minutes."

The brigade commander, an elf, nodded and glanced at his watch.

"I hope they are not too late, otherwise we may have to start the operation without them."

A few minutes later, the tent's curtain opened, and an army officer came in, followed by a woman in her late 20s. She has medium-length dark brown hair tied up in an unkempt ponytail with bangs parted down the middle and was wearing square glasses. She also wears civilian clothing, indicating that she did not belong to the military.

"Nice to meet you. I am Robin Calvello, sent here by the Ministry of Ancient Sorcerous Empire Countermeasures." The woman greeted, holding her hand.

"I am Artur Yugra, commander of the 39th Motorized Infantry Brigade." The commander replied as he shook Robin's hand.

"I hope we're not too late?"

"No, actually there are no signs of movement from the ruins yet, although our mana detector has detected at least 5.000 of them this morning, and it is possible that there are still more inside the ruins."

Robin nodded, "I see. But now that the interior of the ruins has been exposed to outside elements, it's only a matter of time before the dormant monsters awakened. Commander Yugra, if possible, please avoid causing damage to the ruins."

"We'll try," was Yugra's curt reply.

---

One hour later, the sun was beginning to reach its peak. The soldiers in the trenches were struggling to endure the sweltering heat in the plains where there are no vegetation in sight. Finally, from the entrance of the ruins, numerous creatures began to appear. The scouts reported to Yugra.

"Enemy movement detected, the scouts have reported mostly goblins and Goblin Lords."

"Finally. Tell the artillery to open fire as soon as they reached the plains. Use fire magic."

The artillery unit consisting of 152 mm magic cannons began preparations to fire as per Yugra's orders. The individual cannons were connected to several truck-mounted magic engines by cables, transmitting the magic energy required to charge the cannon.

"Magic cannon automatic spell chanting completed, attribute ratio 20 explosion, 80 flame, charging progress 70% ...80% ...90% ...100%! Ready to fire!"

The muzzle glowed faint red light, and small particles were being sucked into the cannon. Meanwhile, the monsters started to approach the defensive position, lumbering instead of running.