Chapter 81: Eyes of the Lotus

Ignismens 27, 1616 Central Calendar

San Redentore District, Runepolis, Holy Milishial Empire

A small prism of translucent green sat in the center of a certain room within a Roguerider Foundation facility, surrounded by the workstations and activities of researchers documenting its every nuance, poking and prodding at the inanimate object to unravel the mysteries behind its properties. Sitting underneath the harsh glare of overhead lights, the emerald with a strange otherworldly air to it seemed to also emanate light from within the object itself rather than merely reflecting any external luminescence.

On the other side of the reinforced observation window, a group of five figures stood transfixed by the prism at the heart of the seemingly endlessly bustling lab. Princess Lugiel, her straight posture belying an awestruck gaze in her eyes, watched accompanied by her right-hand man, the Illustrator. Beside them, Meteos hummed in reminiscence.

Not even one week has passed since the Attarsamain metal was born by the hands of a native Ars Goetian in this world. Around twenty years remain for them to prepare, assuming the Civilization Annihilation Game will proceed similarly to the First Timeline.

"I'll be honest with you two," Meteos admitted in a carefree tone despite the encroaching sense of helplessness in his mind, scratching the back of his head. "This new material looked like a wonky, rejected bean thing before we refined its shape to be a bit better looking."

"That's quite an interesting tidbit."

While the Illustrator let out a chortle at what he perceived to be a joking remark, the Princess gave the teenage inventor a dry sideways glance and replied in a deadpan. "...Is that so? Oh, well, while its initial aesthetic appeal may have left much to be desired in your eyes, the very existence of something entirely novel to our world is a testament to the incredible work the Foundation is doing here."

Lugiel's gaze returned to the emerald prism. Ten months were but a blink of an eye for a long-lived sentient being. However, it was an unusually agonizing ten months of waiting, fueled by endless reports and schematics to actually prove the theories that the silver-haired teenager beside her made since becoming Agent Flamberge's apprentice, which still hadn't quite prepared her for the reality of seeing yet another impossible made real.

"It still feels... fantastical," she murmured.

The Illustrator piped up, tapping a noteboard held against his side. "Alright, let's see what the boffins have for us. Well, where to begin... given name, Pedanium as Young Meteos proposes, isn't it? Apparently, it's incredibly light, weighing a mere five grams for that entire prism. But the kicker is that it's ridiculously strong. Compared to our data regarding existing materials, their initial tests show it surpassing even the still-largely-mysterious deochalcum itself in terms of sheer durability!"

Lugiel nodded, intrigued. "If it's better than even deochalcum... then how about the mana conductivity? Is it as good as what that report implies?"

"It allows for near-instantaneous flow and minimal loss, yes. Your Highness, according to these reports, this pedanium is practically a mana superhighway. It channels mana like nothing we've ever seen before. A magic circuit made of pedanium would skip many generations, for sure."

A shadow of concern crossed Lugiel's features. "There has to be a catch, doesn't there?" she asked, turning away from the pedanium's mesmerizing glow.

Meteos tilted his head in acknowledgment. "As much as I hated that notion, unfortunately it seems that's how things are. Well, every new invention has a teething phase, right, Your Highness? We figured out the basics, now comes the nitty-gritty."