Chapter 50: Scheme MR - Object 119

The gray-colored sheet was slowly pulled away, enveloping Walman Falkenhausen with a palpable sense of anticipation. His eyes, already gleaming with awe from being surrounded by a treasure trove of ancient weaponry, now sparkled with the wonder of a child on his birthday. His best friend Meteos gave him a playful nudge, but it failed to divert his attention. Every ounce of his focus was fixated solely on the hidden artifact beneath that draping. And as the final corner of the cloth was removed, a gasp of astonishment escaped Walman's lips. Before him was the primary relic housed within the confines of this warehouse.

Perched on a pedestal, the relic before Walman was immediately discernible as a ranged weapon—a Spirit-type magic gun, to be precise. Its angular barrel stretched to approximately two and a half meters, split from around three-quarters up and down. However, what slightly confused him was the absence of the familiar holes that were usually there near the muzzle. Since this is an ancient relic, those holes must be something that the modern Milishians invented to make it work, somehow.

Moreover, a lot of parts also seemed to be not there, leaving the relic practically consisting of just a barrel and its oddly shaped breech. Yet, even in its partially dismantled state, its construction displayed an unmistakable sophistication surpassing any Spirit-type magic guns Walman had previously seen. Its blackish-blue color exuded an ethereal metallic sheen and even emitted a faint scent that whispered to his senses that this gun represented an advanced piece of technology.

Before anyone else had anything to say, Meteos standing beside him blurted words that seemed to convey his first impression: "It's small. That has to be around thirty-eight millimeters."

Emre Senturya could understand young Walman's amazement, with not many rookies their age running around in this place and getting to experience this rare chance, but Meteos' technically proficient but rather unenthusiastic reaction still weirded him out. The creepy kid can't just let him bask in the admiration that the Ground Facility crewmen not-so-secretly craved and ruined the mood that has been built up to introduce this relic.

Suppressing an urge to sigh, the blonde man corrected him with a slight tone of irritation, "It's thirty-eight-point-one millimeter. Why such a strange caliber, you may ask? That's because the Ancient Sorcerous Empire used a different measurement unit than us, which makes this gun 1,5 nuge in their system. But bullets are bullets, anyway, right?"

"Ah," Meteos smiled and nodded. "So this ancient relic still shoots solid projectiles, then?"

"Hm? Oh... yeah, it is," Emre blinked. "You're expecting it to be some sort of magic beam gun that fires death rays or something?"

The boy shrugged and gave him a 'so-so' gesture with his right hand. "It will be more exciting if it's true."

As a matter of fact, there are indeed magical spells in this mortal realm that match that description. In the tumultuous wars of the previous timeline, native, Annonrial, and Ravernal forces have used magic beams as a particularly deadly means of killing the enemy. Often shrouded in secrecy, it mainly served as an unexpected trump card against unsuspecting enemies. Delving even deeper into history, the ancient Dragon Sorcery War between the Ravernal Empire and Infidragoon also witnessed beams of lights traversing the battlefield, striking both sides with impunity.

This Object right here might be just a rapid-firing projectile gun, but its larger and even more advanced Malakhian ancestor on planet Attarsamain was capable of firing such bullets at a rate of fire so astonishingly rapid that it appeared as part of a single light beam—D'oh!

Hold on.

Meteos paused amidst his pondering, his blue eyes widening with astonishment.

'...How did I know that? Whose memories are those?'