Chapter 28: CEO, Desire, and Gifts

Fundamens 16, 1615 Central Calendar, 20:00

Aikon Corporation Headquarters, William Ameir District, Runepolis

On the northwestern part of the Imperial Capital Runepolis, located on the northern estuary of the Great Sumter River that divides the metropolitan area in two, lies William Ameir District where many of the Holy Empire's largest companies' headquarters and facilities are located. One of them is the Aikon Corporation, a major magical computing and communications manufacturing company.

On the topmost floor of a high-rise building standing among the heaven-reaching silvery white skyscrapers of Runepolis, the CEO of Aikon Corporation stood looking down at the district from his office. The large window panes behind his desk, which gave him a clear view of the outside cityscape, also faintly reflected his thinly smiling face as he stood in silence, admiring the never-ending glimmer of the Sleepless Magical City, an icon of prosperity and the architectural magnum opus of not only in the Holy Empire but also in the known world. Amidst the concrete jungle made of the finest reinforced concrete that the Holy Empire produces, the gliding snowflakes' reflected light added an even more ethereal glow to an already fantastic urban scenery.

The CEO is a happy man. When he founded Aikon Corporation eight years ago, he did not expect it to become a global player so quickly. Originally known for being the producer of manacom capable of manufacturing their own magic circuits, the core of all magic technology, the company's latest product, the grimoire, quickly become a massive hit and is selling like hotcakes in the market where they are never short of customers, particularly wealthy middle to upper-class individuals including nobility, thus bringing the company massive wealth. Not to mention that requests for the installation and upgrading of magic wave transmission towers as well as other support infrastructure kept flowing in not only from the Holy Empire itself but also from the neighboring countries in the Central World, taking advantage of the recent government policy of relaxing technology restrictions on those countries in exchange of dirt-cheap chunks of a previously thought useless substance.

The manacom already utterly dominated the known world's telecommunications market due to their ability to perform voice communications directly over long distances, denying even a remote chance for their closest 'rival,' the Kingdom of Mu's recently developed wireless telegraph, to enter international trade. Manacoms were used by the nation itself for communication as well, and if it weren't for their desire to be totally free of any tools related to magic, they would have long since accepted them.

The CEO sees nothing wrong with that form his perspective. People, buildings, civilization, everything in this world that is advanced is born because they are wanted by someone, a result of desiring something, to act out of one's greed. However, just as the Muish have their own desires, the CEO also has his own, and he is a really greedy man.

The manacom from Aikon Corporation, which uses their own magic circuit technology, is regarded as the best magical communications device among its rivals thanks to its impressive voice output and shock resistance. Additionally, it is currently available as a grimoire that combines the advantages of desk-mounted and bracelet-style manacoms. As the demand for grimoires rises, so do the company's stock prices. As the Aikon Corporation continued to expand, the thought of his company's rising fortunes brought a smile to his face, allowing the CEO to go about his daily routines with a peace of mind.

It seemed that all of his endeavors and hardships he had to endure had paid off, but he still desires more. However, the CEO acknowledges that all this success cannot be achieved without the help of the company's certain benefactors, and being high-born from a prominent Milishian nobility, the CEO felt obligated to repay this great debt himself.