Chapter 18: Ancient Ministry - 2

Tempestamens 18, 1614 Central Calendar, 13:40

San Redentore Museum of Magic Technology Research and History

The two young inventors, Meteos Roguerider and Walman Falkenhausen, now the official staff of the Ministry of Ancient Sorcerous Empire Countermeasures (MOASEC), are taken by their teacher Robin to this museum as their next destination after exploring the administrative building complex. As a museum managed directly by the Ancient Ministry, it is the largest of all museums in Runepolis, filled to the brim with various exhibits that lined every corner of the building. Although it is located far away from the city center, visitors, mainly technology and military enthusiasts, still flocked to the place.

Immediately after passing the entrance, the three of them came into a section that displayed artifacts from ten thousand years ago. Meteos and Walman looked at them with interest as they listened to Robin, who is giving them an explanation in an excited tone as if she was a professional tour guide herself.

To put it simply, the post-Ravernal ancient Milishial civilization in what will become Runepolis went straight to Iron Age while at the same time, other civilizations in other lands are still in the Stone Age. Led by a tribal chief who will be posthumously referred to as the First Milishial Emperor, most of the artifacts from this period are mainly in the form of weapons made of iron. Their post-Ravernal prehistoric period lasted only a few decades since writing was introduced by the son of their original leader, who will be known in the future as the Second Milishial Emperor, shortly after his father died.

"This is the Object 1, or what we call the Light-Wing Saber. As the name implies, it is the very first Ancient Sorcerous Empire technology that the MOASEC cataloged and released to the public. The swords that you see around it are the attempts to copy it, but because the Light-Wing Saber, which is made of an advanced magic alloy capable of conducting mana, is too complicated for them, the best that the ancient Milishians can make is these swords made of iron," Robin said as she pointed to an oddly fine-looking sword among the crude swords that lined one of the racks.

The exhibit also displayed the evolution of the metallurgy at the time, as the swords displayed are arranged in a way that showed their gradual improvement until they managed to look and function exactly like the Light-Wing Saber.

"Oooh..." Meteos and Walman hummed in appreciation.

Having finished looking around, the three of them proceeded to another section. In addition to history, the museum also exhibited all kinds of magical technologies, as well as materials describing them, such as the various prototypes of the manacom; cameras; scale models of ships used by the Empire from simple sailboats to ships equipped with the first magic engines, to the sleek and futuristic-looking magic ships they know today; automobiles; firearms and artillery; and the evolution of aviation technology within the Empire, which culminated with the Heavenly Vessel, whose preserved model of it was hanging from the ceiling of the museum. Since the advancement of technology in Milishial depends on what Ravernal artifact that they found at the time, their technology became very distorted, with one field can become so advanced it is borderline futuristic while the other remained backward until related ancient relics were found.

Even though they are greatly varied, all of them shared the same characteristics in that their development was a series of hardships, setbacks, trials and errors, and compromises, where even the lives of those involved can be at stake. Despite all of that, their beliefs and dreams, fueled by the knowledge and fear of the enemy of all races' return in the future, marched on. However, it's still not enough, because in the end, because of an unprecedented event in the future that no one can foresee, their labor, dreams, and aspirations are mocked, ridiculed, and trampled to the ground before they can even fulfill their purpose. It's sad and infuriating, to be honest, from the perspective of a Milishial citizen. No one wanted their ancestors to be insulted like that.