Chapter 36: Legendorga, Legend, Legacy

Aquamens 7, 1615 Central Calendar, 17:30

William Ameir District, Runepolis, Holy Milishial Empire

It goes without saying that from sunset to sunrise again, the Sleepless Magical City of Runepolis always shone with city lights so brilliant that it can even be seen from the farthest reaches of the horizon. But on this day, just as night was about to fall, fireworks were being launched from all over the metropolis, adorning the auspicious clear sky above the city's skyscrapers with even more lights, vibrant colors, and noises, to celebrate the eve of the Water Goddess Day as if the usual hustle and bustle of the city weren't enough.

Even though some residents, especially those who worship the Water Goddess as their patron deity, opted to conserve their energy by taking a rest in order to prepare for the prayer ceremony in the morning, some night owls took advantage of the occasion to enjoy themselves even if it's not even ten minutes past midnight, feasting at the sights and sounds brought about by the fireworks and revelry.

The business district of William Ameir was also not exempt from such a festive mood, where people coming home from a long day's work mixed with the celebrating crowds resulting in rather congested traffic. It can even be seen from the topmost floor of the Aikon Corporation's headquarters, also known as the 'Condor Tower,' where the CEO's office was located. However, the man who owned this economic juggernaut already had his attention focused on something more interesting in front of him than seeing vehicles crawling like ants down below.

Lord Victor Legendorga was listening to a report made by the Aikon Corporation's head of R&D, with his secretary Fiolina Bucciarati standing by his right side.

"...therefore, before we can make a Manadriver capable of memorizing a spell sequence generated from a computation, we must first be able to devise a method to record the computation result in some medium and, if possible, use that medium to also replicate the spell sequence recorded on it. This is where the challenging part begins, Mister President."

After a period of brainstorming among the company's researchers after Victor's recent request, the R&D department came up with a proposal to the CEO.

Victor hummed in his seat, "I kind of expected it from the start, so what do you propose to make it happen?"

"After discussing with my colleagues, we came up with the idea to try to rewire the Regen Generator and connect it to an array of magic circuits and lamps set to turn on when in contact with a specific mana wavelength. Based on the theory that a spell works in casting a specific phenomenon by emitting mana in patterns, it should be possible to record the mana patterns emitted by the Regen Generator's computation by observing the array."

Victor raised an eyebrow, perplexed by how complicated it sounded.

"Why is that? If you're going to do such a lengthy process, does this mean you cannot simply record the computation into the already existing spell components?"

"Yes, we are truly sorry, Mister President. While our technology allows us to engrave spell components into magic circuits and perform spell casting with it, there has never been a technology to do the reverse. I think that the rule set by the current magic system made it too complicated even if someone tries to do it, and there is no guarantee that every spell component known to man will be able to fully cover the Manadriver's computation results. Therefore, we need to devise a 'new' magic spell system that can also be operated solely between machines. We have to start from scratch in order to achieve this and yes, even invent a new magic spell system."

"Hmm, what a predicament..." Victor murmured as the chief researcher finished his long-winded explanation. "To make a new magic spell system, you say?"

The magic spell system used by the Holy Milishial Empire and everyone else in the known world was based on the Ancient Sorcerous Empire's set of magic spells. Through studying the leftover relics and trial and error process, they managed to make themselves able to manipulate their mana into a phenomenon in what is known as spell casting. So far, everyone's mentality regarding the magic spell system is that if it isn't broken, then don't fix it. Mankind has never encountered the need to research if there is a way to create an entirely new magic spell system because the current one always works. Even advancements in magic technology, such as magic circuits, only revolve around how to make these magic spells can be cast faster. And yes, this even applies to the early Manadrivers.