Chapter 65: Dawn - Enter, Roguerider

"So, the final boss, the mastermind behind the Civilization Annihilation Game, has revealed himself in front of me. Perhaps... my sense of what's possible is still quite lacking, despite living in a world where magic exists. But then again, I still after all am a mortal.

In the face of this grim reminder of just how insignificant pitiful archetypes like we are, I suppose there's no shame in admitting that a mortal being like me is not expected to fight godly entities on a regular basis... That's supposed to be Kagaseo's business, but he's not here—defeated, apparently—and here I am, facing an entity that is supposed to be even worse and even more powerful than a god. He spoke along the lines of justifying his Civilization Annihilation Game, dismissing the victims' demise as something the victims themselves had coming: the tendency to cling to their base impulses and their inability to change for the better. However, if he's not outright evil, it is pretty clear that the Horseman doesn't care about collateral damage, since in his perspective, both gods and mortals alike are incredibly insignificant at best, or he's contemptuous at us at worst.

That part sickens me, but I am no longer the same fool back then who had nothing to lose. I have lived for the second time and experienced what it feels like to be really happy. If I openly antagonize the Horseman, what will he do to me next? I am hesitant to fight this 'First Horseman of the Apocalypse.' For all my talk about determination to change my fate... I am really at a loss as to what to do.

He also spoke about giving me an offer to ascend to the divine. In other words, becoming a god of this planet. Well, maybe you think that becoming a god is an extremely tempting prospect that every mortal soul craves. However, coming from the one who initiated the Civilization Annihilation Game himself, I'm sure that it will come with a price that I have to pay dearly. The Horseman is messing with me, I can feel it.

In the end, I neither confirmed nor denied his proposition, but as my composure waned, I started to act on impulse. I walked away. But just as the feeling of regret over my choice settled in, I was faced with a situation where what seemed to be a manifestation of what-ifs and my regrets came to life.

Ah... there are so many things I don't understand. A blessing or a curse? Which one my second life turns out to be, or will turn out to be?

"You are my shadow, Walman... you are every mistake I've made."

The glare of anger brandished by the ghost of his old friend turned into an unspeakable hatred.

"So you understand that I can't be real until you're gone!"

"You're not wrong. That's why... your ghost is finished today."

SET! FEVER!

"Having the reality that you're a cosmic plaything thrown right at your face sucks big time, but I don't have the intention to beg and return to ignorance like a coward. I will live with it, and I intend to seize victories, whatever small it is, whenever I can. That will be my rebellion.

So forgive me, Walman, you are the shadow of my past, and I will not let the past be my prison. My heart and actions are utterly unclouded. Against you, I have made my decision."

"Henshin!"

-----------------------

As soon as the transformation sequence initiated, Meteos' form was encased in the black Desire Basic undersuit, while the matching Zombie armor parts materialized on his flanks. And with they subsequently glided seamlessly to encase his torso and legs, Meteos Roguerider once again donned the mantle of Rogue, the armored warrior he once used to fight for his soul. Finally, the chainsaw sword signature of the form, the Zombie Breaker, materialized in Rogue's right hand.