Chapter 31: Be, and It Is - Tornado of Desires

When the break time is over and its time for their turn, Meteos Roguerider and Walman Falkenhausen without hesitation strode to the center of the field where they will proceed with the testing of the Second-Generation Manadriver, which basically using it to their hearts' content. Now that their teacher Robin had shown them all the general idea of how to use the device, they decided to go straight to test the advertised ability of this awesome magic tool: using installed spells as 'ingredients' to a more diverse, instantaneous magic casting. Granted, the repertoire is still quite limited, so they must be considerate of their desires or else it could risk the device crashing.

But progress is progress.

"Hmm, how should we proceed with this?" Walman muttered, staring at a Runite Charger in his hand. He was given the same model as Meteos, a regal gold and white-colored Manadriver that was for some reason named "BIRTH-DAY", in capital letters, by its maker.

"How about I go first?" Meteos offered.

Weighing his options, Walman responded.

"Sure, you're the smarter one. I think you can figure it out easily," he said, feeling confident that his childhood friend will breeze through using this new device just like Meteos had with everything else. Besides, didn't he say that he 'got the gist of it' earlier? Walman concluded that it is best that he observed how Meteos do it first.

Meteos paused in inserting the green Core Circuit into the Runite Redoublizer and turned to look at him with a slightly stunned gaze.

"What are you talking about?" he muttered softly, but audible enough for the brunette to hear.

"Eh? What?"

There is no trace of resentment in Walman's tone as he said those words. To be fair, Walman in his teenage years is much more timid compared to his adult counterpart in the previous timeline and it is safe to say that their relationship in this new life is very much warmer than the estranged rivalry they once had in Meteos' old life. But Meteos did not expect him to say that line so openly. So, a future tragedy can be avoided by being nice.

"......Never mind," Meteos lightly shook his head.

After signaling Fiolina that he is ready, Meteos pressed the Runite Charger against his palm to start the activation, causing the BIRTH-DAY Manadriver to emit a noticeably higher-pitched beeping sound than the A.M. Revolution used by Robin.

"So, wind magic spells, talk about lucky. It just happens to be my element. The spells for Gale, Great Breakthrough, and Wind Protective Wall, regardless of its purpose, they all manipulates air pressure and velocity. With a bit of mix and match, their spell components can combine to create the effects of several spells I know of," Meteos mused.

The fact that he memorized many magic spells down to their components and is able to determine combinations on the fly reinforced Walman's opinion about his friend's intelligence.

He turned to face the still-standing stone pillars among the rubble that littered the clearing.

"But I only desire to destroy that stone with wind magic, what do you think this Manadriver will produce?"

Walman brought a hand to his chin and pondered for a second.

"Er... I'm not too familiar with wind magic, but... maybe something destructive that is not whirlwind?"

"Okay. Well, time to find out. Proceeding with the experiment."

Feeling his heart pounding from anticipation, Meteos took a deep breath to calm himself, exhaled, and then took a stance, spreading his legs with knees bent and his left hand extended forward. Meanwhile, the right hand holding the Runite Charger was brought close to his waist. As he channeled his mana to the device, powering up the Manadriver, it started to emit very faint green particles forming a vortex around the Runite Charger. Meteos concentrated and reaffirmed his desire.