Chapter 52: What You Are in the Dark

Solmens 6, 1615 Central Calendar, 13:16

MOASEC Magic Technology System Development Facility, San Redentore District, Runepolis

A small optical device, only slightly bulkier in size than that of normal binoculars, sat on a table placed at the back of a dark auditorium, a tangle of cables snaked out from it and followed a path on the floor before its ends vanished to the back of the room.

Finding such a setting as part of their penultimate agenda, the GP inspection team with Arthur Arkland as the resident facility member and supervisor walked into the venue, eager to complete the series of agendas that brought them seeing new prototypes for the past two days.

Nodding to each other, the group let Meteos step closer to the device and pick it up.

"Not much change from operating a BIRTH-DAY, right?" bringing the ocular lens closer to his eyes while his index finger was hovering over what felt like a Second-Generation Manadriver's Power Trigger on the device, he asked for confirmation from Arthur who was watching from behind.

"That's right. Besides, it already comes with a built-in battery, so there's no need to channel your mana to the device. Just think that you want to see in the dark and the device will turn that desire into reality."

"Good to know."

After activating the device and peering into the lenses, Meteos can clearly see the auditorium's corners, the empty seats, his friends' faces, the faraway podium, and even a statue placed right in the middle of said podium as if it's midday. Naturally, the boy's face also brightened seeing this device that he designed also worked like the previous ones.

Seeing what the device was capable of, a feeling of excitement just like what they experienced for the past two days also burst forth within them.

"So this is how it feels like to see in the dark...?" Walman gasped. "I can see everything as if the room itself is lit!"

"Hahaha, convenient, isn't it?" agreed Robin, giving her comments after her turn to use the device.

Meteos muttered, "No green tint whatsoever?"

"Huh? Green? No? Should it be there?"

Walman raised his eyebrows in confusion, but his friend quickly shook his head. Just some random thought, apparently.

Upon activation and with the appropriate spell components, the circuits installed within the device generate screens made of magic particles that transform incoming photons into electrons, and then convert them back into photons of light. Through this process, the ambient visible light was enhanced, while near-infrared light was converted into visible light which can be seen by the user. However, this device by itself was merely an image intensifier that could not be used in total darkness, which was why there was a part that might be just a Runite Charger stacked on top of it, set to provide extra infrared illumination. This supplementary component did contribute to the device's slight heft when compared to standard binoculars, but the rewards were worth the minor bulk. The beauty of this device lies in its efficiency, as it consumes only a trifling amount of mana to operate. As a result the Discharge Wings, regulators for excessive mana input, were notably absent from the construction.

After they finished checking the device, Meteos signaled Arthur who proceeded to tell the operators through his bracelet-mounted manacom to turn the auditorium's lights back on.

"So, are you satisfied with how it worked?" the green-haired beastman asked nonchalantly to Meteos, who answered with a thin smile. "Yeah. The GP one-one-zero works exactly as envisioned when I designed it."