Chapter 30: The THEOretical Limit

Fundamens 17, 1615 Central Calendar, 07:00

Ministry of Ancient Sorcerous Empire Countermeasures, San Redentore District

Fiolina walked over to the parked autobike just outside the Training Ground to pick up the recording equipment lent to her for the purpose of documenting the testing. When she opened the attached luggage rack, it revealed to be a magic video recorder that occupy a large portion of the space, three film rolls, a retractable tripod, a portable magic camera, and a notepad with writing tools. Nodding in satisfaction, she closed the luggage and carried it back to the open field where the three Ancient Ministry personnel involved in the testing were already waiting.

She noticed that Professor Calvello, wearing a complete set of orange-colored protective gear and goggles instead of her glasses, was already there in the center of the field, lightly pacing around with both hands on her hips. Her two apprentices, also wearing the same piece of equipment sans the headgears that were hanging from a nearby tree, were sitting on bench-sized finely-shaped square rocks.

'Wait, that's not there before,' Fiolina idly remarked. But she quickly reminded herself that this is a Training Ground, so someone must have summoned them using magic.

Seeing Fiolina had returned and carried something, Meteos stood up from his seat, tapping Walman on the shoulder to draw his attention and made his way to the beastwoman.

"Let us help with that," he offered.

"Ah, thank you," Fiolina responded, nodding slightly.

It did not take long for them to set up the recording equipment. With Walman holding the camera, Fiolina stood behind the video recorder to operate it, giving a thumbs-up to Meteos and started recording. Nodding in affirmation, he turned in the waiting Robin's direction and exclaimed.

"We will now begin this impromptu and very informal testing of the Aikon Corporation's Second-Generation Manadriver! First, we will see if it can cast the three basic spells installed inside the device without problems, and after that, you are free to do what you want! Teacher, are you ready?"

"Yeah, but wait! I'll make some adjustments first!" Robin hollered back.

On both sides of the Mage's waists is the bifurcated state of the A.M. Revolution Manadriver, attached to a belt. However, there's also her old Manadriver dangling on a short chain. Since the latter device is always active, she simply took a deep breath and focused her mana on her hands, imagining the desire that she wanted to 'paint' reality with it. And finally, she decided to loudly call out one of the five spells installed in the old Manadriver.

"Earth Creation Magic: Tearing Earth Turning Wave!"

Robin slammed both of her hands on the ground, sending a wave of mana through the soil that then traveled to the edge of the clearing within seconds, shifting the local terrain to Robin's desire. A moment later, numerous stone pillars instantly shot up from the ground, filling the empty clearing with uniformly-shaped makeshift dummies.

"Alright, done!" Robin grinned.

From behind the lens, Fiolina gasped in surprise the moment stone pillars started emerging all over the place. Although their position and direction were random, upon closer look, all of the stone pillars are exactly two meters in height and have a thickness of about 50 centimeters.

"What a great display of control! I never know that spell can do things like this!" she exclaimed.

"Traditional mages and foreigners usually use earth magic to break up the terrain and devour the enemy in combat, but that's only one way to use it. In essence, the Tearing Earth Turning Wave is a technique to alter the terrain around the caster to suit their desire. It is a very well-known magic commonly used by the Imperial Army's combat engineering units to fix damaged roads or to assist in other construction projects because of how easy and versatile it is when used correctly. With a refined control, the caster can choose between increasing the area of effect for widespread destruction of terrain or making something as detailed as this at the expense of the much smaller area of effect," Meteos helpfully explained.