Chapter 47: Confluence of Ambitions

It can be said that the Philades Continent, the land east of the Central World where the Third Civilization Area is located, is a reflection of what the Middle Lands were like during the Warring Kingdoms Period three millennia ago. No matter if it's among the mild climate of the south to the frigid lands of the north, kingdoms were born and die, and from their long-forgotten ashes, others will rise. For centuries upon centuries, they engaged in relentless warfare, each striving to expand their dominion, impose their will upon others, and claim an ideal world painted in their image. Wars were fought for honor, resources, revenge, or merely the desire to assert dominance over their rivals. Castles were raised and crumbled, alliances forged and broken, and blood was spilled upon the soil like rain from darkened clouds.

Philades was a cursed land through and through.

The Dragon of Philades, the Parpaldia Empire, was also born on the same blood-soaked battlefield, harboring the same grudge and ambition as its neighbors. Like many, its founders also firmly believed that peace could only exist on this cursed land when borders between nations were erased and the realm was united under a single banner. The history of the Middle Lands was their inspiration, its unification was what they want to imitate, and eventually, the rising Parpaldia dreams to become the August Star of Heaven's equal. The conquest of Philades became something that was inherited by generations upon generations of emperors, but not all of them were committed to shouldering the daunting burden.

Leonius of Parpaldia was one of those who desires such an ambition. Under his rule, the Parpaldia Empire was at its greatest extent, claiming the majority of the southern Philades as its own.

Yet, the dragon still starved.

On Solmens (Month 5) 1614 in Central Calendar, only two months after the pacification of the territories north of the country, the Parpaldia Empire declared war simultaneously on the four kingdoms Kooze, Arukh, Cannara, and Edrin. In response, the four kingdoms formed a coalition to resist the looming flames of the rising dragon, determined to steel themselves to fight what will become a hopeless war. Ignismens (Month 7) 1614, the last of the Cannaran territory was conquered by the advancing Parpaldian army's full might. For the first time, the Parpaldians entered the Kingdom of Edrin with destruction in its wake. Every attempt of resistance was soon met by the merciless flames from land and sky, annihilating the small Edrinian army by the middle of Augustusmens (Month 8). Now, the Parpaldians attempted to invade further north with utmost cruelty.

When winter of 1614 came, however, hardships after hardships struck the Dragon of Philades. Yet the slowed-down invasion force continued north, remaining adamant in finishing its mission. Despite losing their greatest advantage, they managed to conquer Arukh by Caelusmens (Month 12), leaving Kooze the last one standing in the way of their victory. By this point, the Empire's heartland became increasingly unable to support this invasion, but the capital of Kooze was already ransacked and its king fled to a mountain fortress to the north. With only a thin wall separating the cornered Kooze royal court and the Parpaldians, it seemed like they were doomed to a fate worse than death.

-----------------------

3rd of Mizan (L. Month 7), 508 AT (Arb. 22, 1615 CC), 07:30

Le Brias, Altaras Kingdom

"Hear ye!! Hear ye!! The Parpaldians won in the north!! The Dragon of Philades spreads its wings yet again!!"

Newspaper boys darted through the streets that morning, carrying with them a piece of news that sent ripples of unease through the bustling center of the Altaran capital's human activity. Those who can read and are reading the headlines proclaiming Parpaldia's triumph over the northern alliance turned pale as a ghost, while people quickly flocked around them, wanting to hear for themselves what made them look so distraught. And from there, murmurs spread like wildfire among the crowd. The 'Dragon of Philades,' the epithet of the one country that filled the entire island country with dread, was echoed here and there.