Chapter 76: Amon, Beyond the Impossible

Arbormens (Month 4) 25, 1616 Central Calendar, 15:01

Tranquila District, Runepolis, Holy Milishial Empire

The final bell that echoed through the expansive schoolhouse of the Runepolis Magic Academy's High School Department also signaled an end for Class X-C3's history lesson with Professor Vladimir. As desks creaked and students surged to their feet to gather their things, the calm yet authoritative voice of their elven teacher offered one last reminder to his students.

"Remember, class," the teacher said, slightly quieting the excited chatter that had begun to fill the classroom by drawing the students' attention to him. "The practical exam for magical arts is just around the corner. I want you to continue practicing with diligence and not slack off in your preparations."

"Yes, sir!" some of them replied with varying degrees of enthusiasm.

Among Class X-C3's students was a young student from overseas who enrolled (technically transferred due to his home country's education system) as a high school student last year. Kaios van Deventer from the Parpaldia Empire stretched his arms above his head and let out a soft sigh of relief. As he proceeded to gather his books, snippets of conversation drifted around him. Unlike the usual chatter about weekend plans or upcoming school events, this time, the atmosphere seemed more serious and laced with a hint of nervous excitement.

"Any news about the Imperial Board's exam?" a girl asked her circle in a voice loud enough for Kaios' ears to overhear.

"Some of the seniors are taking it this year."

"Well, I don't think that's surprising, but I wonder if there are students from our year who will be participating."

"The Legendorgas from classes next door have announced their intention to enter. There's much support from the staff, too," the class president chimed in.

"Of course the Legendorgas are participating," another remarked with a slight snort. "It makes sense for nobility like them to join. I got to admit, they got talents, too."

"Yeah, and they seem extra hyped this time around."

"Ooh, I heard about this one. Apparently, they got wind of our former classmates who skipped grades joining the exam."

"Could it be..." the class president crossed his arms before shaking his head slowly. "No, it must be. Meteos Roguerider and his circle are definitely the ones they're talking about."

"Huh. I knew it!"

"Those two boys are already Apprentice Mages, right?"

Having finished neatly tucking his books inside his bag, Kaios decided to stay seated for a while. The chatter about the Imperial Board's exam and the mention of Meteos' apprenticeship team filled the air, creating a tension the shy Parpaldian didn't feel comfortable engaging with. While curious about the details, he felt it best to keep his distance. However, he couldn't help but smile a bit as the whispers about his silver-haired friend intensified into a full-blown discussion.

While Kaios was still adjusting to life in Runepolis, it was Meteos and company who had become his anchor. They'd introduced him to the intricacies of living in this country, navigated the bustling city together, and even helped him overcome the culture shock from moving to a civilization so unbelievably advanced compared to his home country. The Roguerider family as the ones who sponsored his higher education and their associates are practically the young Parpaldian boy's friends.

At that moment, the class president looked around and noticed Kaios still sitting quietly at his desk before approaching him.

"Excuse me, van Deventer," he greeted politely. "Is it true what they're saying? About Meteos Roguerider and the rest of his apprenticeship team joining the Imperial Board's exam this year?"