Chapter 39: Springtime of Awakening

"Professor, the time has come."

"Uh, huh..."

Harley Hendrickson, distinguished leader of the Ground System Development Facility, maintained an air of stoic composure as he received the strange opening from the enigmatic masked figure seated across from him in their mysterious, liminal abode. The surroundings were a perplexing amalgamation of an office space and an ominous underworld, complete with ghoulish yellow wallpaper and eerie magic lighting. Though the lack of windows made it impossible to discern their exact location within the Holy Empire, Harley was no stranger to this clandestine haunt, having been visited, or rather being told to come to a random location and spirited away here on previous occasions. With each visit, he noted a subtle metamorphosis in the space's strange layout, yet he remained calm and prepared for whatever revelation the masked individual would offer next.

"Is this related to my department?" the muscular dwarf asked, lightly stroking his beard.

"Correct. Securely stored inside this chest are materials that can bring your Ground Facility to glory," the masked individual triumphantly declared, gesturing to a large chest that was already there before the only two men(?) in this room even arrived, idly sitting without care on the table's side.

"Oho? Is that so?"

"Seeing is believing, so go ahead and open it."

Harley grunted and rolled his eyes. Despite the seemingly endless variety of masks and their wearers, all these secret department agents seemed to be too fond of their theatrics. As a member of the dwarven race, said to be known for being direct, he found these performative displays to be increasingly tiresome. Such grandiose antics seemed better suited to the fanciful sensibilities of elves, or at least the stereotype of them as one might heard in those Outside Civilization Countries.

Nevertheless, Harley reached out and opened the lid to reveal its contents. When he realized what were those from its familiar color, he gave them a long stare, picked one up, and then turned back to the masked figure.

"This is..."

"Yes, Professor Hendrickson. Execute these plans well, and you will find the renown that you and your men has long seeking! I can promise you this with utmost certainty."

After taking a moment to process the revelation, Harley slowly nodded. His lips quirked into a faint smirk before he gave the masked figure a hearty laugh.

"Hohoho... I'm certainly not complaining! Tell me more about it."

It was late in Aquamens (Month 2). While other R&D groups within the Ancient Ministry were enjoying a surge of innovation and progress, Harley's department seemed to be mired in a period of stagnation. Despite their best efforts, the Ground System Development Facility had failed to make significant headway on any major projects, leaving them to tinker with smaller undertakings in a desperate attempt to stave off idleness. All the while, they still anticipated the arrival of the artifacts freshly excavated from the depths of the Ancient Sorcerous Empire's ruins, but they never came.

That's why the revelation on this day was like a plot device that can finally advance their story forward. Harley couldn't help but smile as he engaged in a spirited discussion with the masked figure, who represented the shadowy forces that maneuvered behind the stage. Together, they carefully laid out the intricate details of their plans, leaving no stone unturned in their quest for success as a tribute to the original designer's ingenuity, for thanks to him, they would soon become a power to be reckoned with even more.

The dwarf, feeling that getting left behind is unbearable, was thus prompted by his own competitive spirit to play his part as soon as he was dropped off in a random clearing near the MOASEC headquarters. The moment the sun rises, Harley already proceeded to devise a plan using the materials provided, and in a similar fashion as the Alpha Edge Project, it led to the formation of the Light Weapons Development Group, combining the strength of the Holy Empire's small arms manufacturers under the leadership of the MOASEC's Ground System Development Facility.