Chapter Five

I am absolutely beside myself as my manager explains the contract Big Hit is extending to our company, especially since it is entirely dependent on them working with me exclusively and not any of the other music producers

"This is such a great opportunity for you and NORAE as a whole. I mean, the entire company will benefit," my manager explains.

"Sung-Ho, I know, but they want to rip me out of my studio and make me work in their building. I love it here, my studio is my home! Let's not lie, it took me forever to build this community and earn trust. They want me to just start over with a whole new set of people in a brand new setting. How will I even be productive and as effective as I know I can be?" I blurt out quickly, feeling the anxiety ripple through my body.

"Lily, they know you are a gift. Just like I knew from the very first time I heard your work. They aren't fools, but you know a big company like this needs to keep things under wraps. They can't have their members walking in and out of our studios freely. I promise you, they have the means to set your studio up however you want it. Please think about it, '' Sung-Ho gently explains.

"I know you said they would be checking in later. Let them know I am reluctant and still considering my position. I want them to know upfront that I have my reservations," I sigh.

"I will," he smiles gently.

I know deep down inside I can't let our company down, but my gut tells me this is going to be a challenge I need to steel myself for. My anxiety is growing, and my body shakes just thinking about being outside of my comfort zone.

Lily, you moved to an entirely different country to chase your dreams. Stop being ridiculous, this is nothing!

I try to soothe my growing anxiety, but it lingers, bubbling just under the surface.

----------------------

Spending all my "breaks" mixing tracks and eating takeout isn't unusual for me, and currently, I'm working on a track and eating cold noodles when a knock comes on my studio door

"Yeah, come in!" I yell, trying to swallow down the noodles I just shoved hastily into my mouth.

The bass is booming as I wiggle back and forth in my seat to the beat with a mouth full of noodles and three ice packs on my knee. I look like a hot mess, and I'm still recovering from standing up on that piano bench Friday. Whiskey-fueled decisions always come with consequences!