Chapter Thirteen

I forget to set my alarm clock on my phone, which is so unlike me

I forget to set my alarm clock on my phone, which is so unlike me. The result is me getting myself together as soon as possible to make sure I make it to the studio on time. I put my strawberry locks up in a high ponytail, throw on some black yoga pants, a v-neck t-shirt, and grab a black hooded, zip-up sweatshirt. It would have to do, and I arrive at work just in the nick of time.

The members and I have greenlit recording the new song, and today I'm scheduled to work with RM in the studio.

"Hey, Lily!" I hear as I am making my way down to the studio.

"Good morning, RM!"

"You know Lily, you really can call me Namjoon." he chuckles as I smile up at him.

I'm barely 5'4, so Namjoon is like a tree trunk of a man, and when I look up at him, I feel like I'm looking at the guy they put on the cover of a spicy romance novel. He is just solid, and there is not an inch of fat on him; it's all muscle, and he looks like the picture of health. He's wearing shorts and a sweatshirt, and I have to avert my eyes from wandering over his thighs. I remind myself that it costs me zero dollars to mind my business and that I have no business looking at this man like this.

We make it to the studio, and I invite him in while I switch on the lights. I'm walking much better now, and I'm close to not having to use my crutches anymore. I'm still limping, but it's still better to start walking than have to rely on my crutches all the time.

"Namjoon, please excuse my appearance. I totally forgot to set my alarm, and this morning was complete chaos. I'm not usually like this," I laugh, making a funny face.

"Oh Lily, you don't have to worry. I think you look very pretty."

I appreciate his acceptance and know the compliment is just so I can save face. We get to work shortly after getting comfortable. Namjoon is a complete professional. He brings almost a decade of songwriting experience to the table, and working with him is so harmonious. I like that we are able to go back and forth, and no feelings get hurt as we work through figuring out what lyrics work and those that don't work. His words are his, but like Yoongi, he is so accepting of feedback, and I am too. I wish all my clients were as talented as Namjoon.

"I really want people to start taking us more seriously, and I hope this comeback will catalyze that. I know we started out as kids, but I've been an adult for a long time, and I'm tired of being treated like I'm still a child. I love what I do, I wouldn't trade it for the world, but I'm also wary of going through the interview circuit again in the States, there is so much unintentional disrespect, but also so much that is intentional."

I look at the pained expression on his face, and it makes me wish I could take away all the frustration for him. For a moment, I have the urge to reach up and stroke the side of his face, and I'm surprised by my thoughts. I even consider sitting on my hand to control my ridiculous impulse.