Chapter Thirty-Seven

Namjoon and I touched base a few more times throughout the week. He suggested I should dress casual and comfortable for roaming around outside. He also explained that he had arranged for a driver to pick me up first and that a short time later, we would be picking him up from another undisclosed area on the way to make sure nobody was followed.

Three in the morning means chilly weather, so I dress in layers that consist of a pair of black yoga pants, a jade green tank top, and a long-sleeve black v-neck topped off with a jade green zippered hoodie to match, along with a pair of sneakers.

When the driver notifies me that my car has arrived, I emerge from my apartment building with a pillow and a throw blanket in tow. Namjoon said I could nap on the way up, and my neck will thank me later for the comfort.

I recognize the driver from the company and smile, thanking him as he chuckles at my pillow and blanket. He kindly opens the door, ushering me into a black SUV with tinted windows in the back for privacy.

We drive in comfortable silence for about a half-hour and then pull off into a store parking lot. Another car is there, and Namjoon materializes, handing two bags to the driver, who proceeds to put them in the trunk while Namjoon sleepily joins me in the backseat.

I'm relieved to see that he is also comfortable in charcoal gray fitted sweatpants and a sweatshirt. "Good morning," he says with a yawn, flashing a dimple my way.

"Goodnight," I reply with a soft smile and lean my neck onto my pillow that I have propped against the car door. I toss the length of my blanket, so it lands softly, covering both of us, and Joon looks pleasantly surprised. It doesn't take long for my eyes to grow heavy, and I feel myself drifting off to sleep.

Two hours later, I awaken to Namjoon, gently tapping my forearm as we pull into a gravel driveway. "Lily, we're here."

I look, and there is a small house next to our SUV, and I'm so confused as to where we are. I don't know what I expected, but it certainly was not this. 

"C'mon, it's almost time," Namjoon smiles as he slips out of the car door and comes around to open mine for me, offering his hand to assist my exit. My hand feels tiny in his large, soft hand, and I appreciate his thoughtfulness as I inhale the chilly morning air.

"Thanks, Joon. What is it almost time for?"

"You'll see, come with me," he says, and I note that he is carrying my blanket with him.

I follow as he carefully leads me down the hilly driveway and across a small private road, and into the yard of another house. It's still dark, and it takes me a moment to realize that we are at some kind of compound, or property, with a few different houses sprinkled about the grounds. Some just happen to be separated by the little road.

We make our way down into the yard, Namjoon taking great care to ensure I don't misstep. As we move forward through the property, I notice a lake unfolding before us. We proceed from the yard through a corridor of a small boathouse leading to a dock with a railing on all sides. Two chairs are set up next to each other, and he points to one indicating for me to take a seat.

I oblige while he pulls his chair closer to mine and then sits, making sure to cover us both with my blanket to help keep us warm in the chilly morning air.

The light of his phone makes an appearance and lights the space for a moment while Namjoon checks the time.

"It's almost time; look up over this way," he says, pointing out into the distance.

A few minutes pass, and then I see the sun begin to rise in the distance. As it does, a beautiful mountain range begins to emerge in the morning light. The light dances across the peaks as the purple and blue shadows slowly dissipate with the rising sun, bringing an array of orange, red, and yellow tones that usher in a brand new day.