Chapter Forty-Two

It's late Thursday night, and I can't believe that tomorrow is my last day here

It's late Thursday night, and I can't believe that tomorrow is my last day here. It was a super busy day. I was able to sit in and hear the members practice their acapella chorus, and they have it down to perfection. They are so ready for their upcoming trip to America; I'm thrilled that all the hard work everyone has put in is going to come to fruition. I let them all know how proud I am of them and what an honor it has been to work in conjunction with their company.

As people leave for the day, I slip down into my studio space and resume packing, replying to last-minute emails and wrapping up loose ends. I reflect on the fact that this has been both the best and most challenging work experiences I've ever had, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

I've been working diligently for a few hours, my neck is stiff, and I feel like I need to stretch. Pulling up my playlists on the computer, I select Leon Bridges, "Coming Home," and fill the entire studio with his soulful voice.

The richness in his voice envelops me, and I sway back and forth, gliding between boxes. The blues feed my soul like no other music. I sing along with abandon while giving my body a much-needed stretch to help relieve my sore muscles.

Next, I'm treated to Aretha Franklin. Nobody can sing like Aretha, but since I'm alone, I sing along with abandon; it's the music I'm most comfortable singing.

I turn in a circle, belting out lyrics, only to find Yoongi leaning against my door with a soft smile on his lips. In one hand is a bouquet of wildflowers and in the other a bag of takeout. I jump into an upright position clutching my heart from being startled.

"Yoongi, you scared the shit out of me," I laugh nervously.

"Oh, don't let me stop you. I love having front row seats to this show," his voice is slow and seductive, and I can already feel the heat rising up through me.

"W..what are you doing here?" I muster the strength to ask as I try and catch my breath.

He saunters over to me and hands me the most beautiful bouquet of wildflowers I've ever seen. The colors remind me of autumn in my hometown back in New Hampshire. The reds, oranges, and yellows are dotted with a few deep blue flowers, and I've never seen anything like it since I've been in Korea.

"These are for you."

"These are gorgeous!"

"Gorgeous like you," his voice is steady and matter of fact. It isn't teasing or mocking, and for the first time, I hear him admit that he fancies me as well.

My mouth slightly agape, I blink at him blankly, my mind racing while my heart thumps in my throat. I've fantasized about Yoongi and I having a moment together like this, but I never thought it would come to fruition, and I feel utterly unprepared as I freeze in place.

"You said you would say yes to a date, so I brought the date to you," his words are soft and intentional. 

"This is...wow...Yoongi...I'm so surprised," I force out as I try to process what is happening. It feels like the riptide is going to sweep me into an ocean full of uncertainty.