Chapter Twenty Two

"Absolutely, Sung-Ho," I say into my cell phone, JK knocks on my studio door, and I wave him to come in

"No, that is fine. I always carry my company credentials with me. No, that's okay. I will have plenty of time to get ready. Yes, I will dress nicely. Sung-Ho, you know I would never let you down. Yes, Sir, I will be there. You know my heart is always about NORAE first. See you then."

I sigh heavily and end my call, a frown forming on my lips. JK looks at me thoughtfully from his spot on the couch. He's adorable, wearing jeans and a light blue sweatshirt. His hair has been dyed back to black, and I can't help but smile.

At first, I thought there was an attraction between JK and me, and he is very handsome, but over time I've realized we really just bonded over our mutual love of singing, and our relationship is more of a blossoming friendship that I find quite endearing. He is sweet and thoughtful in the most unexpected ways, and I've grown to love working with him in the studio.

"Good Morning, JK. I like your new hair. Very handsome!"

"Thanks, Lily! Are you okay? I wasn't trying to eavesdrop, but I heard part of your call."

"I just found out I have to go to the awards show tonight and network backstage for NORAE. I love my company, but I don't exactly love this part of the business," I sigh while rolling my eyes.

I cross the room and sit down on the opposite side of the couch from him and tuck my legs up under me. He looks at me like a child trying to hide a secret.

"What's that mischievous smile for?"

"You know we are performing tonight, right?"

"Honestly, this is a last-minute decision to pull me into work tonight, so I honestly haven't had a minute to think about it." Just thinking about trying to pull myself together in time for this event has me feeling overwhelmed, and it's the first time I've ever let JK see me distraught. "I'm stressed out, I usually have time to think about what I'm going to wear, and I can usually convince Jae to do my makeup for me, but I know she's not available last minute like this."

"Don't worry, I'm sure everything will work out," JK smiles with the confidence of a king. "I think you will look beautiful in anything."

"Your Mama raised you right, JK. You always know exactly what to say. Make sure to thank her for me."

He casts me a shy grin, and as always, it still surprises me how he can seem so boyish in one moment and all man the next.

"Will you watch us perform?" He runs his hand through his hair, and I watch as it falls back into place.

"I don't know if I can, I get so busy backstage trying to talk to possible clients. I never get to actually watch the awards show. I mean, you know they mostly have idols and talent in the audience. I'm not the kind of person they hold a seat for, you know?"