42

We were on our way to DADA and I couldn't help but feel completely exhausted. Last night was unnecessarily long. I felt like I was dragging my feet underneath myself as we walked.

Aria had agreed to sit with me again this year since I would no longer be sitting with Draco. Blaise can have fun with that one. At least he can tolerate him for over 2 seconds.

We threw our books down on the empty table in the back of the class and took a seat. Maggie and Dani sat down at the table to our right, allowing me to sit closest to them.

A paper bird started floating through the room, grabbing the attention of many students already in the class. We all started giggling and laughing at it. Some students kept the bird going, some tried catching it.

Draco and Blaise slowly made their way into the room. They sat down at the table to our left, Blaise sitting closest to Aria. Not exactly the distance from Draco I was hoping for, but I guess it was going to have to do.

Blaise gave Aria a tired smile as he sat down, not really saying much. Draco immediately put his head down on the table. He looked like the kiss of death. His hair was a wreck, he didn't even bother to brush it out. I was surprised, honestly. His under eyes were dark purple. He looked utterly awful.

The class was interrupted by the paper bird catching on fire. All of our heads turned to the front of the room. Umbridge was staring at us with her creepy bug-eyed smile. I felt a look of disgust creeping onto my face.

She started rambling on about the O.W.L.S. taking place this year. I groaned internally at the thought. I knew I was more than prepared, I just dreaded the idea of it.

"Study hard and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so, and the consequences may be severe." She threatened. What the bloody hell is that supposed to mean?

Textbooks started floating through the air, landing on the desks in front of each of us.

"Your previous instruction on the subject has been disturbingly uneven." She added. "But you'll be pleased to know that from now on, you will be following a carefully structured, Ministry approved course of defensive magic."

I stared at the book in front of me. I quickly flipped through the pages and let it slam shut again. Granger raised her hand and asked a question.

"There's nothing in here about using defensive spells?" All of our attention shot to Umbridge, waiting for an answer.

"Defensive spells?" She laughed. Merlin, she's annoying. "Well, I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom."

"We're not gonna use magic?" Weasley questioned.

"You will be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way." She assured him. What?

I shot a look at Aria. Doesn't that defeat the entire purpose?

Harry spoke up, "What use is that? If we're going to be attacked, it isn't exactly going to be risk free."

"Students will raise their hands to speak in my class." Umbridge strictly announced due to the interruption.

"It is the view of the Ministry that theoretical knowledge will be sufficient to get you through examinations. Which, after all, is what school is all about." She laughed.

"And how's theory supposed to help prepare us for what's out there?" Harry interrupted again. The class sat silently watching the two bicker.

"There is nothing out there, dear! Who do you imagine wants to attack children like yourself?" She quizzed him.