28: An Invisible Illness

Note: This was a request for me to tell my story about being a sufferer of epilepsy. I got quite emotional when writing this, but I was so thankful for this request because it made me realise that there were people out there that wanted to learn about what I have to go through. This oneshot contains real things that have happened to me, so it's incredibly personal hence why I got so emotional. All the bullying, the injuries and the drawbacks described in this oneshot are some of the things I've had to go through, hence why it got so emotional for me but again, I am glad it was requested. I just want to say that if I see any abuse towards people with epilepsy written in the comments I will mute you, I won't give you a second chance. Sorry for the long note.

Quirk: Plant Manipulation

Requested by: Toghoul4school21

 I was laid down on my bed in the UA dorms, having had to of taken the day off of school due to needing rest. I hadn't told anyone about my suffering in fear of them bullying and belittling me like my so-called 'friends' did back in middle school, although here at UA I felt as though I had made solid friends who I could rely upon, but I was still too nervous to tell them.

I suffered from an illness known as epilepsy, which severely affects the brain. Sudden bursts of electrical activity in the brain causes me to suffer from multiple types of seizures. In middle school many people called me horrid names, making fun of the way I looked when having the different types of seizures I suffered from. Whenever I suffered from a fitting seizure known as a tonic clonic seizure, it always drained me of my energy to the point where I could sometimes barely stand which was exactly the situation I was in now. Not only did it drain me physically but also emotionally, as I found myself crying and repeatedly asking myself 'why did it have to be me?'

There was nothing Recovery Girl could do, as I had asked her as soon as I joined UA. She could only heal physical injuries rather than illnesses, and there was nothing my neurologists could do either. Epilepsy, despite it being fairly common, had no known cure. Most people grow out of the illness, but if you hadn't by the time you're an adult then the chances are you'd be stuck with it for life.

As I sat on my bed, attempting to do homework that was due for the end of the week but finding it too difficult to concentrate, there was a knock on the door. I glanced at my clock on the bedside table and realised school was over, so I called whoever it was to come in. Shoto Todoroki, my closest friend and inconveniently my crush, stepped in with Sato following, him holding a cake. "Hey (l/n), we just wanted to see how you were doing?" Sato asked, neither of them knowing exactly why I was hauled up in bed.

"Oh, I'm recovering, slowly," I said, an unintentional sad tone in my voice.

"Well I baked you a cake, cake always makes people better," Sato said, placing it and a knife on my bedside table. I chuckled, having the first proper smile on my face since I had the seizure earlier that morning. I had inconveniently had it as I was getting ready for school, hence why I couldn't go and had to spend the day resting.

"Thanks Sato, that's sweet of you," I said and he blushed a little.

"You're welcome. Anyway I should go, I've got homework I need to do," he said, saying his goodbyes and leaving just Shoto and I alone. There was silence for a moment as I waited for him to speak. He approached my bed and sat next to me, me moving up to give him some more room.

"(y/n) you have to tell me what's going on," he finally said, glancing up at me and looking at the large plaster on the side of my forehead. "What happened?"

"I-I tripped," I lied.

"You're a terrible liar (y/n)," he said sternly. I thought back to all the people in middle school calling me names and inside I knew Shoto would never do anything of the sort, but the bullying had scarred me.