44: Love in Bloom

Quirk: plant manipulation

Requested byFelixFelicis65

 I constantly felt as though I was drowning. I felt suffocated, in a pool of darkness that I didn't know how to escape from. Since I caught my fiancé, the man who asked me to marry him, cheat on me with my maid of honour I vowed it was best to be alone. I broke up with him and left my friendship with her behind, instead deciding to focus on myself.

Since then however the feeling of drowning had never escaped me. I convinced myself it was best to be alone, out of the public eye and away from everyone. I didn't have many friends anyway, and I didn't stand out much so I was easily forgotten about. I was now truly alone but I didn't mind it, in fact it was good for me. Better than living a life surrounded by fake people with fake emotions pretending to like and love you.

Everyday I awoke in my small flat which consisted of only two rooms - the bathroom and the open plan kitchen/lounge/bedroom. My routine was the same every day: I'd get up, bathe, have breakfast, pack away my futon and head to work. Work for me was a safe haven, it being my own independent shop. I refused help from my family, wanting to achieve this alone. I was a florist, as being surrounded by flowers and the various perfumes they emitted always comforted me.

Keeping to myself resulted in me not knowing much about the worlds current affairs. I didn't follow the news, I deleted all of my social media and I spent all my time in two places - my home or my florists which was were I was now.

Clipping the stems of the roses I had piled in front of me, I hummed a lullaby. It was free therapy for me, and a distraction from reality. The closest I got to reality was when a customer came into the shop and ordered a bouquet. The sound of footsteps made me look up and I saw a man with red and white hair enter the store through the open front. He glanced over at me and smiled slightly, making me quickly turn my attention back to the roses in my hand.

Silently he walked around the shop, gently caressing some of the flowers standing in their tins. I watched him out the corner of my eye, feeling as though I recognised him from somewhere but having difficulty placing it. "Excuse me, may I take a bouquet?" He asked, approaching the counter.

"Of course... any particular event?" I asked and he shook his head.

"Just to have in the house," he said with a smile that had my heart rate excel a little.

"Any flower preference?" I asked and he shook his head again.

"Whatever you think would look nice," he said and I felt heat come to my cheeks. I tried to brush it off, nodding and wandering around the shop, collecting the necessary flowers and decorations. I worked in silence, trying to keep all of my attention on my flowers but I occasionally found myself looking up at the man who was watching my hard work.

Ten minutes later I had strung together his bouquet and he smiled again. "Thank you, they're beautiful," he praised and I just nodded.

"That's 5000 yen please," I mumbled.

"Thanks again," he said politely, waving as he exited. I somehow felt incredibly flustered after his visit and tried to distract myself by going back to my roses but somehow my thoughts remained on that man all evening.

- Timeskip -

A week had passed and a few more customers had come and gone. I was busy working on a few of the bouquets I needed to finish for a wedding when I heard rustling. I turned to see the man was back, looking carefully through the tulips. "Hello," he said politely and I nodded, sending him a small smile before turning back to my job at hand.