Chapter 4

"Why are you not in your room?" Ms Porter raised her eyebrow and tapped her finger on her watch. "It's 1am, Izzie."

I shrugged. "I was just going to the bathroom."

"There's one in your room." She crossed her arms and stood there patiently waiting for me to come up with a better explanation, but I was too stubborn to tell her the truth and risk me and my friends getting in trouble.

"Well, I couldn't sleep so I wanted to use the bathroom in the hall."

"Do you always take a bag with you to the bathroom?"

God, she just wouldn't let this rest. "I'm on my period." I replied.

Ms. Porter looked at me for a few seconds before taking a step closer to me. "If you're gonna keep lying to me, I suggest you make them more believable."

I gulped. Once again she made me feel embarrassed and nervous at the same time. A combination of feelings I wasn't used to but quickly learned that I hated.

"I'm no—"

"Stop it Izzie. You smell like cigarettes." Her eyes were set on mine and I could tell she was not playing around. "Was I not clear enough earlier?"

I averted my gaze to the floor, not wanting to look at her any longer. "Sorry." I just mumbled.

"Safe it. You can stay after class tomorrow. Your sorry's don't seem to hold any value."

I felt this anger rise up in me again. I couldn't understand why she was so mad at me. Why could she not just let me off the hook for once? Why did she care so much about what I was doing? I wasn't harming anyone. I've only been here for two days. Why couldn't she just cut me some slack?

"Fine." I just replied and immediately walked off to my room without looking back at her.

"Izzie?" Ms. Porter called out again.

I rolled my eyes before turning around. She was really getting on my nerves now. "Ms. Porter?" I sighed.

"Good night." She said shooting me a sweet smile that not only confused me but maybe even scared me a little. Why was she being nice all of a sudden? I squinted my eyes, not really trusting her.

"Night." I said a little surprised. I turned back around and I caught myself smiling at the little interaction we just had.

I entered the room and quietly closed the door behind me not wanting to wake Allie. I quickly took off my clothes and changed into a big shirt before getting into bed under the warm comfortable sheets.

The moment my head hit the pillow I felt tiredness taking over. I closed my eyes and let my mind drift off. I couldn't help but wander back to Ms. Porter. The way she stood tall and confident consumed my mind and I couldn't figure out why that was all I could think of. There was something about those October eyes. They reminded me of the afternoon sky shining through a glass window. They hypnotized me in a way I couldn't explain. Her dark hair always seemed to shine despite the lack of illumination. Her smile, always so warming yet mysterious. Even when she was mad at me her smile was pleasant and comforting. There was something about her, I just couldn't really put my finger on it.

I groaned and rolled over. I got frustrated with myself. I didn't know why my thoughts were so consumed by her. I didn't understand why she intrigued me so much when all she did was give me a hard time. I didn't even like her so why was she all I could think about?

The alarm of my roommate woke me up and a pounding headache was awaiting me. Even though I hadn't been drinking much last night, a hungover was still there, ready to make my first day of school hell.