Chapter 8

"So what did you do to get in trouble this time?" Ms. Porter spoke. "Was it the smoking?"

"No, it wasn't." I said.

"The sneaking out?"

"No."

"Are you really gonna make me guess?" She asked.

I sighed. "Just got in trouble with Mr. Lewis. Apparently I have an attitude."

"You kind of do." She said.

"I do not."

It was quiet for a minute. I was tired and sad and engaging in this useless conversation with Ms. Porter wasn't helping.

"Are you alright?" She softly spoke.

"I'm fine." I answered.

"I don't think you are."

I looked up to her. "I'm fine okay, please don't ask." I could feel my eyes tear up a little. I tried to fight it. I didn't want to let her know I was having a bad day but the way she so genuinely asked if I was alright hit a sensitive nerve.

"Okay. If you want you can just sit here for a bit, I won't distract you."

She grabbed her laptop from her bag and opened it.

"No please." I said while trying to keep my tears from falling down. "Please distract me."

She looked up to me. Her light brown eyes looking for my green ones. Her expression softened and she closed her laptop, moving all of her attention to me.

"Alright." She said. I could tell she was hesitant, not really sure what to say since I basically gave her an impossible task. "Tell me something about your old school back home. How were your friends?" She asked.

I smiled. This was the first time someone actually asked me anything about the friends I had back in the United States.

"School sucked ass." I replied. "But I have amazing friends. We used to hang out all the time, I miss them."

"Language missy." Ms. Porter laughed. "But that's understandable. It sounds like you have a good group of friends."

"Yeah." I nodded. "I do."

"What kind of stuff did you guys get up to?"

"We mostly partied, got high, go on trips. That sort of stuff."

She raised her eyebrows. "Right. Interesting activities."

"We also went out for dinner sometimes or watch movies together." I shrugged.

"That sounds better." She laughed.

"Ohh, so boring." I joked.

"We can't all be cool like you." Ms. Porter sarcastically said.

I laughed. "Judging from last night, I'm sure you know how to party."

"Izzie!" She exclaimed. "We're not gonna talk about that."

"Sorry miss." I giggled.

She rolled her eyes. "So, did you have a boyfriend back home? Or still have perhaps?" Her pen resting on her lower lip as she spoke.

"No boyfriend." I said, letting a few seconds linger before I continued. "But I had a girlfriend. We broke up before I got here. It seemed like the most reasonable thing to do."

"Oh, I see." She said. "That must've been hard."

"It was." I looked down.

"What was she like?"