Chapter 17

It was a Monday morning and my sadness hadn't disappeared. Instead I walked around the halls of the school like an empty shell. My eyes were dark and puffy. My hair was messy and my throat still felt sore and dry from all the crying.

I didn't want to attend any classes. It was the very last thing I wanted to do, but Allie was right when she said that not going would only make it worse for me. Attendance was a big thing here and I didn't want to deal with that on top of everything else.

By the time Allie came back home from her weekend away I had been feeling better. I hadn't been emotional, or angry. I had just been numb. Some would say that numbness wasn't better than feeling intense emotions, but to me it was. It was so much better than the endless crying or the uncontrollable anger.

I had been nice to her. I didn't want to scare her off as well. I still didn't feel like myself though. I hadn't talked too much to Allie. I hadn't laughed as hard, I hadn't hugged her and I hadn't asked her how her weekend was. I felt like a shitty friend.

She had even given me her spare phone so I could keep in touch with my friends but besides a thank you I didn't say much. I couldn't get it out. Everytime I spoke it felt like razor blades were stuck in my throat. It hurt. I couldn't do it.

Chelsea, Hazel, Allie and I all were in biology class. They sat together, I deliberately sat alone. They didn't question it, but I could feel their eyes on me every now and then. I didn't know if it was out of sympathy or hate. Maybe they hated me. Maybe they wanted nothing to do with me anymore.

Mrs. Kramer was slow. Boring. I didn't care about the things she had to say and I didn't care to listen. The thought of walking out of that classroom and not coming back crossed my mind several times, but somehow I was able to talk some sense into myself.

That sense I thought I had left when I texted George. I needed to be with someone who wasn't going to ask me how I was doing. Someone who wasn't going to treat me like I was an ancient piece of art you weren't allowed to touch.

Izzie: Hi George, are you free right now?

George: Yes, I am. Why?

Izzie: Class is boring. Wanna hang out?

George: Sure. Need me to come pick you up?

Izzie: Yes pleaseee :)

George: Alright. I'll be there in 15.

Izzie: See ya 🫡

He agreed to hang out and even offered to pick me up. Class ended in 10 minutes so when the bell rang I immediately got up and made my way to the entrance of the building. I didn't want anyone to see me and no one to tell me off for skipping class. With a cigarette in one hand I waited until a car I assumed to be his stopped in front of me.

I peeked through the window and faintly smiled when I saw his face. I opened the passenger door and sat down.

"Hi George." I gave him a hug.

"Hi you. What's up?"

"Not much." I sighed. "Just tired of everyone in this stupid building."

"Valid." He laughed. "Gym class here used to be fun though."

"What?" I chuckled. "We don't have gym class."

"Oh." He shrugged. "Weird. They used to have it when I went there."

"Hmm. I guess." I nodded.

"So. What do you want to do?"

"Do you have weed?" I eyed him.