Chapter 34

I yearned for that visceral hatred to consume me, to ignite a fire within that would burn away every trace of warmth or affection I once held for you. I wished I could look into your eyes and unleash a torrent of anger so potent that my vocal cords would strain, my words tearing through the very fabric of my being, until my voice gave out, leaving me with nothing but a raw, hoarse whisper.

But the reality was far more complicated. As much as I wanted to harbor that hatred, it eluded me like a fleeting shadow. Every time I thought of you, my emotions became a tumultuous storm, swirling with resentment and love, anger and longing, all crashing against the walls I had built around my heart.

Adrianna and I had barely spoken during the past week, yet in some strange way, it felt like we were communicating more than ever. I had become adept at deciphering her unspoken language. Her eyes revealed secrets, and her body language spoke volumes.

I noticed the subtle signs. Her rapid blinks when caught stealing glances at me, the way she played with her hands during eye contact, her lip-biting when I did something to annoy her, and the absentminded twirling of her hair around her finger when I spoke in class. It was as if I could write an entire book about her just by observing her body language.

"What are you guys wearing to prom?" Allie asked the group.

"I don't know." I sighed. "I still think it's bullshit that we have two proms like what's the need?"

"The first one is for all the students and the second one is just for those who graduate." Hazel explained.

"I know." I chuckled. "I just think two is a little extra."

"When is it again?" Chelsea asked.

"This Friday." I replied.

"To me it's just another excuse to dress up and I can't ever miss an opportunity like that!" Allie exclaimed.

I laughed. "Of course you wouldn't."

"Iz." Allie stated. "You're gonna dress up, look sexy and eat everyone in the room up, you hear me?"

"I could never look better than you guys do but I'll try to eat up the other bitches." I laughed.

"What color dress are you wearing?" Chelsea asked.

"I'm thinking red maybe." I said. "Or like a dark green."

"Oh, red would look so good on you!" Hazel squealed.

"What color are you guys thinking?" I asked.

"Blue." Hazel and Allie both said.

"Oops." I chuckled. "So cute, you guys gonna be matching."

"Oh, shut it." Allie embarrassingly said.

"I might wear a suit though." Hazel said. "A sexy one, might I add."

"If you guys don't take each other to prom I'm gonna be upset." Chelsea said.

"Chelsea!" Allie exclaimed. I could tell she was embarrassed.

"Maybe I'm planning something, stop ruining it guys." Hazel playfully said.

The room went a little quiet and Allie's face went from red to tomato.