Chapter 23

A/N: you guys are gonna hate me for this 🫢

——————————————————————

A few days had gone by since I spent the night with Adrianna. When I woke up, she was gone. I hadn't seen her in the hallway since and I hadn't gone out of my way to look for her. Instead, I had focussed on writing and doing everything in my power not to have a complete breakdown over her, because in all honesty I was hurt. Very much so.

It hurt me that she hadn't come looking for me ever since that night. No accidental meetings, no knocks on my door, no spontaneous hangouts at the tree. Nothing. I had convinced myself that maybe she would have changed her mind. That she would wake up in the morning and realized that she wasn't ready to let me go after all, but it seems like she had already let me go the moment she closed her eyes that night.

I didn't do much these days. I mostly stayed in, watched tv and every now and then I would FaceTime with Allie to talk about everything going on in our lives, even though it was basically her telling me all about her life back home while I was keeping a secret named Adrianna.

I got tired of being alone so I had called George and asked him if he was still in town. He, luckily for me, was and he asked me to hang out. We decided to get lunch somewhere and then have some drinks in my dorm. The school was basically empty so this was the perfect opportunity to show George my room and I'm sure he was excited to see his old school as well.

It was nearly 1pm and I was getting ready to go meet George. As usual he offered to pick me up so I headed downstairs to wait for his car to arrive.

"My girl!" He shouted out from the car.

I laughed. "Happy new year G."

He opened the passenger door from his seat. "Come in."

I sat down next to him. "How have you been?"

"Not too shabby." He said. "How about you?"

"I've been good." I said. "Just been a bit bored at school now everyone is back home."

"I can imagine. Did you even do anything for new years eve?"

"Not really." I sighed. "What about you? Hopefully you had a more exciting night."

He laughed. "I just spent some time with my friends."

After going out for lunch and having a few too many cocktails, George and I walked into the school building. "Excited to be back?" I asked him.

He grinned. "It's a little more quiet than I remember."

"That's what you get during the holidays." I said. "Which dorm used to be yours?"

"Eh." He thought out loud. "I don't really remember. I think it was on the second floor."

"How do you not remember?" I laughed.

"It's been like nearly 10 years since I've been here. I'm getting old, okay."

"Surely, grandpa. How old even are you?"

He laughed. "Well, pushing 30 that's for sure."

"Why are you hanging out with a 19 year old. That's just sad if you ask me." I joked.

"Oh, shut up." He said. "I'm aware."

"I'm joking! You know I'm joking."

"I know." He said.

The remaining of the evening we spent in my room having more drinks. We talked and played games and I honestly had a really good time. I didn't feel so alone anymore.