Chapter 26

A coma.

That's what it was, or at least what I heard. I was surrounded by voices. A few I had heard before, some that were unfamiliar. It had scared me a little in the beginning, not knowing who these voices belonged to but I wasn't even sure if they were real or just sounds I had made up to make it all a little more bearable.

I had convinced myself that everything I heard was just part of my imagination. I couldn't stand the thought that there were real people surrounding me while I was stuck inside my body. Trapped in my conscious mind while unable to move.

I couldn't tell reality from my dreams anymore. I wasn't even sure if I was alive. Where was I? Was anything even real?

I didn't know what was wrong with me. Had something happened? I couldn't remember anything. The last thing I seemed to remember was the loud banging of the fire works at midnight when the clock struck 12 and then Adrianna lips on mine. I didn't know how long ago that was. Was it real? Was it my imagination? God I wanted to wake up. I needed to wake up. I felt like I was going insane in this box I was trapped in but instead of a box it was my own mind.

Ms. Porter POV

I had sat beside her bed for the past few days. I held her hand and stroked her thumb while telling her about all the things I wish I dared to tell her to her face. I whispered them so quietly that no one around me would hear because I would be lying if I said I wasn't ashamed for the way I felt about the girl who's hand felt so cold in this big hospital bed.

I hated myself for the way I still pitied myself and worrying about how this would look to others while Izzie was clinging onto life. Externally I was ashamed while internally I begged and pleaded to anyone who was out there to let Izzie open her eyes again. I had never wanted to get lost in someone's eyes as bad as I wanted right now.

It scared me to know that there was someone out there who attacked Izzie in her own room. In a way I blamed myself. If only I stayed. If only I was around to help her. To hold her. I could've seen who did this to her or maybe I could've stopped any of this from happening.

It pained me to think about how scared she must have been. No one around. No one who heard her scream. She must have felt so alone on the cold floor, bleeding out, begging for someone to help her. I could imagine her calling out my name hoping that I was around. It destroyed me to think about. Just imagining her calling out my name so desperately, filled with pain and despair. It absolutely gutted me.

*** 2 weeks later ***

After spending weeks at the hospital I was finally able to leave and go back to the school. I was nervous though. After all this time I still couldn't quite remember what happened. Everything was so vague, so blurry. They told me what had happened, many times. They had been trying to help me remember, but I just couldn't. I was tired. Tired of not knowing, tired of everyone pushing me.

I wasn't fully back to being myself yet, but the worst thing was not knowing what had happened to me. It was so frustrating. I am the only person who knows the truth and yet I can't remember. It was so frustrating to know I held the key to many answers but somehow I had lost the key far within my brain.

When I got back to the school they had moved me and Allie to another room. They moved all my stuff and decorated the place exactly the same as I remembered. If I didn't know better I would've thought it was the same room, but little did I know that my actual room was now a crime scene.

Everyone was so nice to me. There were flowers, chocolates, card and other small gifts placed on my bed. It was sweet and I appreciated it, but it just looked like I had died and came to visit my own memorial.