Chapter 9

A week of detention had almost come to an end with just a few minutes left and I hated to admit that I was actually kind of sad it was over. In just a short amount of time I caught myself longing to be in Ms. Porter her presence. I looked forward to spend an hour after school just to talk to her

"Any plans for the weekend?" Ms. Porter asked.

"I'm finally allowed to go off campus." I said. "So me and my friends are going shopping."

"Enjoy your time." She smiled. "There's this really cute cafe on the main street you should check out."

"Really? What's it called. I might check it out."

"A cup of joy."

"What?" I asked.

"That's the name of the cafe."

"You're kidding me." I laughed.

"Oh, shut up." She giggled. "I knew you had something to say about it."

"How could I not with a name like that!" I exclaimed.

She rolled her eyes but a faint smile appeared on her face. "Now go. Enjoy your weekend."

"You too, miss." I said as I made my way to the door. "Don't miss me too much."

"I most certainly won't." She called out.

As we were making our way to town I took the time to take in everything around me. In the few weeks I had been here I hadn't been allowed to leave campus up until now and it felt like a small victory. The town itself wasn't anything really special. It mostly was trees, landscapes and old buildings. It looked a little gray and depressing but nonetheless I was enjoying it.

"Do you even own any dresses Iz?" Allie asked.

"Not really. Why?"

"For the party next week!" She exclaimed. "You have to get a dress."

"But I hate dresses." I replied.

"I reckon you'd look good in a dress." Chelsea said. "We'll help you find one."

"But—"

"Just say yes Izzie, give it up. We're buying you a dress." Hazel demanded.

"Fineeee." I rolled my eyes. "But no weird colors, just black."

"Black it is." Allie smiled.

"What about you, Allie?" Hazel asked. "Do you have a dress yet?"

"Ehm, yes I think so. I'm not sure if I like it though." She said while playing with her own fingers. I couldn't help but giggle a little at the way she suddenly got so nervous while talking to Hazel.

"Do you have a picture?" Hazel asked.

"No, but I could show you when we get back to the school."

"Alright. I'd love to." She smiled.

I watched them go back and forth and tried not to laugh at the awkward but cute interaction. When Hazel turned back around, Allie her eyes show right at me.

"Don't you dare say anything." She whispered.

I put my hand over my mouth to stop any sounds from leaving. "It's just so cute to see you struggling."