Chapter 35

The first prom night had arrived and the girls and I were getting ready. Although we all had dates, me going with Chelsea and Allie going with Hazel, we still decided to get ready together and attend prom with the four of us.

As I glanced around, it was clear everyone had put in the effort to look their best. Allie, in her ethereal blue gown, looked as if she'd stepped straight out of a fairy tale. Chelsea's choice was a striking black dress that had a hint of goth flair to it, completely in line with her personality. Hazel wore a beautiful blue suit, paired with a lace bodysuit underneath. She didn't lie when she said it'd be sexy.

Already half wine drunk we entered the big dining hall that was turned into a dance floor. The loud music and the chatting of the students filled the room. The decor was beautifully done with disco balls spinning from the ceilings making the room seem magical.

Chelsea and I, not really wanting to dance, hung out around the back of the room while drinking more of the wine we didn't bother to hide this time.

"You look breathtakingly beautiful, Iz."

"I could say the same for you. I am obsessed with that dress." I replied. "It looks so good on you."

"Don't flatter me." Chelsea grinned.

"What can I say." I chuckled.

"I like the masquerade ball theme but it's annoying that I can't see your full face right now."

"Why is that?"

"Just like looking ar your face more than looking at a mask. Glad I can still see your lips though." She shrugged.

"Oh, you want to kiss me sooooo bad." I joked.

Chelsea rolled her eyes. "You just have that effect on me."

"Good to know I still have impact."

"Always." She laughed.

"Just so you know, I'm not wearing anything under this dress."

"Oh, you're such a tease."

"I'm a woman of my word." I grinned.

"Want to get out of here?" Chelsea carefully asked.

I hesitated. "If you're down, I'm down."

"I'm down." She stated.

I chuckled. "Want to go out for a smoke first?"

"I'm trying to quit smoking but I'll wait here for you. I'll just annoy Hazel and Allie until you're back."

"Alright." I smiled. I quickly gave her a kiss before exiting the building.

For a change, being outside at this hour was permitted, saving me from breaking any rules. The outdoors was lively, filled with various groups of people. Some had removed their masks, revealing familiar faces, while many others remained a mystery, their identities unknown to me. It had a certain charm to it that I liked.

I lit a cigarette, taking a moment for myself. The wine's effects slightly blurred my senses, but I remained coherent, able to function as usual.

Suddenly, a dark figure appeared before me. In the dim light I could tell it was a woman, but the mask concealed her identity, making it impossible for me to see who she was. We exchanged silent glances, a wordless interaction that held a secret.

She was draped in a flowing black gown, but the dim light obscured the finer details. She extended her hand towards me, inviting me closer. A wave of hesitation washed over me, causing my heart to beat faster.