Chapter 37

The class was silent as Adrianna explained the last steps before finals. I didn't pay much attention to what she was saying. I had been tired from studying extensively. She gave me a few strict glances, urging me to pay attention but even she knew that getting me to pay attention would be a waste of her time.

I aimlessly doodled sketches in my notebook while my gaze wandered outside through the school's windows. The sudden vibration of my phone snapped me back to reality. Feeling somewhat embarrassed, I quickly reached for my phone to decline the call. However, the sight of "Detective Johnson" on the screen made me reconsider, and I knew I had to answer.

Without much thought, I grabbed my phone and hurriedly made my way to the door. Still within earshot of the classroom, I picked up the call, ignoring Mr. Porter's attempts to get my attention.I slammed the door shut behind me.

I slammed the door shut behind me.

"Yes Detective? This is Izzie. I'm sorry, I quickly had to get out of class."

"That's alright." His friendly voice echoed through the phone. "Do you have a moment, Izzie?"

"Of course." I replied.

I had kept in touch with Detective Johnson regarding the investigation into George, and the few weeks of silence had left me anxious to hear from him.

"Are you able to sit down?"

"Oh God." I replied. "That can't be good."

"Don't worry." He quietly chuckled. "It's good news."

"Well?" I replied. "Do tell!"

"We got him, Izzie. We believe we have enough evidence to convict him. He has been arrested last night."

"What, really?" I couldn't contain my excitement. "You're not messing with me?"

"That would be highly unprofessional." He laughed.

"Right." I chuckled. "So it's over, then? He's behind bars?"

"Yes, in a way." He cleared his throat. "But there will be a trial, and we need you to testify."

"Right." I hesitated, anxiety coursing through me. "And he'll be there too?"

"He indeed will be there too. I am sorry, I know this isn't easy, but we have come so far and we have a very good case, but we need you to testify to make sure we win."

"Right, right." I stammered, emotions welling up. This conversation felt like reopening old wounds. "What do I need to say?"

"Don't worry about that! The prosecutor will just ask you questions about what happened that night. Just tell all that you remember. He will prepare you before you have to testify."

"Alright." I nodded. "I can do that I think."

"I believe you can, Izzie."

"Thank you." I chuckled. "For reassuring me and calling me!"

"It's my pleasure! Feel free to call me if you have any questions. You will soon receive more information about when the trial starts and when you are to be expected in court."

"Thank you sir." I replied.

"Bye Izzie."

"Bye." I hung up the phone.

An ache shot through my heart. I wasn't sure if I was prepared for this. The uncertainty loomed large, and I had no idea where to turn.

Instead of returning to class, I hurried to my room, my mind spinning, consumed with anxiety about the whole situation. With finals approaching, I couldn't lose my focus and I needed to leave school on a positive note. I had been doing so well, but what if I made a mistake? What if I said something wrong? What if he gets to walk freely? What if I fuck up? I can't lie in court, what about Adrianna? Will this ruin us for good?