Chapter 21

It was new years eve. I never really cared for new year's celebrations but it felt especially lonely this time. Everyone was home for the holidays but this time I didn't feel like I had a home to go back to. There were a few student also staying at the school just like me, but I didn't care to mingle and attend the schools countdown.

Adrianna didn't leave either. I didn't tell her I stayed but I had seen her at the school a few times. I got a feeling that she also didn't always feel like she had a home to return to. In many ways I felt like we were the same. We were both alone. Never by choice though.

I had seen her this morning, but I hadn't seen her tonight. Maybe she was out celebrating anyway. Maybe she wasn't as alone as I thought she was.

It was nearly 12 and I watched my phone as the minutes ticked by. With every minute I had felt more alone, more sad. Allie invited me to stay at her family for the holidays but something about that idea made me feel more depressed than I already was. I didn't want the sympathy looks. I didn't want to be the girl with no family to go to.

I watched the clock strike 12 and my stomach sank. I had never felt more alone. I could hear faint screaming in the background. I assumed it came from the students all celebrating together. I could have joined them but I didn't have it in me. Loud banging from the fire works filled up the emptiness in my room. I looked out of the window. It was pretty, that it was.

I checked my phone. A few of my friends from home had texted me, wishing me a happy new year. I thought it was cute of them to think of me considering it wasn't 12 yet in the US. I texted them back when I got a call from Allie.

"Happy new year, Al." I answered the phone.

"Happy new year babe!" Allie screamed through the phone. "How are you holding up at the school?"

"I'm fine!" I tried to sound excited. "It's alright."

"I wish you had come with me."

"Don't worry about me, I'm fine really."

"Hmmmm. Well, take care of yourself okay?"

"I will." I replied. "Go have fun! I love you."

"I love you too, stubborn ass."

I laughed and hung up the phone. God, I was miserable. Maybe I should've went with Allie after all.

It was past 2am. I had tried to sleep but the fireworks didn't stop and I just couldn't put my body to sleep. I decided to go outside to my usual spot and just sit outside for a bit. I figured I might as well enjoy the night as much as I could.

It was cold so I put on a warm jacket and a scarf. I grabbed my phone and headphones and headed downstairs.

To my surprise the school was quiet. Everyone seemed to be asleep already, not that there were many students at the school still.

I sat down against the tree and put on my playlist. It was nice. Being outside always did me good. It was somewhat therapeutic to me.

I closed my eyes and enjoyed my music. Halley's comet by Billie Eilish was playing and I sang along in my head while watching the fireworks even though it was slowly dying down a little.

"I knew I would find you here."

I flinched from the sudden movement in front of me. I took my headphones off and looked up to see Adrianna stand in front of me.

"Sorry, what did you say?" I pointed at my head phones.

She laughed. "I said, I knew I would find you here."