11. Clothes

You couldn't believe how much of a fool you had made of yourself last night. You were so embarrassed you could hit yourself. Why did you have to keep doing such things? Why did you act like such a fool? Why did you say that?

Spotting the pile of yesterday's clothes on the floor you could only hope, beg, pray, that you had taken them off yourself after Mr. Lee had left.

You barely had time to wallow in your own self-hatred when a knock came on the door. So deep in thought, your answer was automatic.

'Yes?' you called out.

The door opened and you instantly pulled the covers up to your chin.

'OH!' Mr. Lee coughed, quickly turning his back to you, facing the door.

'I thought your yes meant I could come in. So sorry, I'll leave,' he said quickly.

'Stay!' you insisted hastily. 'Just... keep facing the door,'

Mr. Lee cleared his throat awkwardly.

'What is it?' you asked nervously.

'Well,' Mr. Lee began, 'I was wondering whether you would be interested in coming with me today... I mean, if you'd like. I just didn't want you to get bored being all alone in this house all the time,' he explained.

Your eyes widened in surprise.

Your father had never asked you to come with him. You had asked. Of course, you had. Many times. But he had always rejected the idea. It had either been too dangerous, too difficult, too far away or some other nonsense excuse. It had been so discouraging to ask and hear no all the time that eventually, you had stopped asking, hoping that one day he would ask you when he'd thought you'd be ready for it. That day had never come. Nor would it.

'Yes-yes I would like that,' you stammered, trying to contain your excitement.

'Great, breakfast is ready downstairs and we have to leave at 8.30,' Mr. Lee noted.

'Right, I'll be right there,' you said.

Mr. Lee nodded and left the room.

You instantly jumped out of bed to take a quick shower.

With your hair still wet you rummaged through your walk-in closet.

This would be your first ever case.

You could feel the excitement bubbling inside you.

You wanted to impress the other party, to impress Mr. Lee.

Searching high and low, you looked for the perfect outfit to wear today. Only... There was no perfect outfit.

There were only simple jeans, sweats, hoodies, plain tops, and dresses that were either short enough for the club or long enough for an official event. None of it seemed useful. None of it seemed to exude any kind of elegance, grace, intelligence.

Frustrated you put on your favorite designer jeans and shirt, two items that now seemed worthless, and ran down the stairs.

'Good morning to you too,' Mr. Lee commented when he saw my grim expression. 'What's wrong?'

You stuffed a croissant in your mouth and chewed on it harder than necessary before answering him.

'My clothes, that's what's wrong,' you complained to him.

'Is it?' Mr. Lee said, looking you up and down. 'I don't see any problem, you look fine,'

He raised his eyebrows.