44. Wanted

Feeling already irritated you drummed your fingers mindlessly on the table. Your father was late. Something he'd liked to pull to make himself feel important, feel wanted. You checked your watch for the umpteenth time, swearing to yourself that if he wouldn't be here within two minutes you'd be out the door when you finally heard a familiar voice talking.

Your first instinct was to wheel around, but you suppressed it, instead of sitting upright stiffly and waiting for them to come into view. 

Your father wasn't alone. He had taken Mr. Park, Binna's father, and Eomeonni with him.

The fucker.

You could think of several reasons why he had brought them.

One, he knew you didn't care for him that much anymore and he was trying to guilt-trip you or something by bringing Eomeonni.

Two, he felt like he needed to intimidate you by showing up with more people on his side.

Three, he needed backup to overrule you.

Or all of the above.

'Hello my daughter,' he said in a fake fatherly tone.

'Hello, sir,' you said coldly as the three of them sat down. Your eyes instantly darted towards Eomeonni. She didn't look too well. Her face was paler and thinner than usual and she had dark circles underneath her eyes.

Reason number one was working.

Binna's father had a similar unhealthy look like his wife, but for him, you did not care too much.

'It's so nice of Mr. Lee for you to let you meet your family again,' you father spoke as he adjusted his jacket. Holding in your emotions you let your fingers slide over your throat, but there was nothing there. Normally when you were feeling upset or uncomfortable you would absentmindedly let your fingers slide over the necklace around your neck, tracing the three initials. Not only did it give you comfort when you did so but it would also often scare off the person who was upsetting you, reminding them who owned you.

However, you had taken off your necklace for this occasion. You weren't sure why you had done so in the first place, but now you regretted it.

'How many times do I have to remind you that he lets me do whatever I want. I am free,' you said, your jaws clenched. For a moment you let your eyes flash to Eomeonni. You wanted her to know you were alright, that she didn't have to worry about you. But she was staring absentmindedly into the distance.

'Right, right, of course,' your father chuckled disbelievingly.

You had to hold back a retort as a waiter came over with the menus to take your order.

During dinner, no one spoke. You preferred it that way, having nothing to say to them anyway. But when empty dessert plates were taken away again, your father directed himself back to you once more.

'So about that little gallery of yours,' your father began with a contemptuous smile, 'I gather it's all set up by Mr. Lee under your name for some particular reason?'

'No. I set it up myself,' you said monotonously.

'Sure, sure. But with his money, right?' your father continued.

'He is one of many investors who thought it would be a good idea,' you retorted.

'Of course, investors. Of course, yes, I heard. And you're having some sort of grand opening soon right?' your father asked.

Ah.

That was what this was about.

Your eyes sharpened and you pursed your lips slightly.